1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Planting Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Billz, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Hi, I was contacted by an older woman to plant some shrubs in her back yard. She only wants them to get to be about 3 feet tall, and only wants to trim them in the spring. She wants a little variety in colors if possible, the area to be planted is 28 feet long by 3 feet wide. The site is irrigated and gets morning sun. Can anyone give me some suggestions?
  2. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Plastic flowers and some pink flamingos.

Or try some dwarf boxwood, Japanese holly, dwarf nandina, certain types of juniper, or lentin rose.
  3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

My 2 cents

Ilex crenata Helleri holly
    pinus mugo ,Mugo pine
    Picea glauca 'Conica' Dwarf Alberta Spruce
    Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea Crimson Pigmy
    Cotoneaster horizontalis Rockspray
    Azalia Gumpo

4' spacing
  4. We cut for money

We cut for money LawnSite Member

try planting some green taxus shrubs (conifers) . I 'm assuming she wants foundation plantings. or you could mix it up with some euonymus'
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Spoken like a true mowing man with no imagination....:D Stick around here, we'll open your eyes!:)

Norm and Ken gave some good suggestions, although I'd steer clear of the mugo's! They are on my least favorite list....

Might also consider compact inkberry, and depending on how open the site is, Pieris might look good too. If she doesn't mind the thorns, shrub roses would really add a lot of color; we planted some last fall and they've been blooming all summer!
  6. We cut for money

felix, I have know idea what the old ladies budget is. taxus, euonomus, and some flowering azaleas would be landscaping on a budget. And we have not even discussed mulch types/brick layout yet etc.. I do have a degree in landscape design, so don't pre judge where others are comin from :angry: . Now if the lady has a large line of credit, I'll start with a plan and go from there. This is not my job , its his. I landscaped my home on a budget with some of the above mentioned plants and in the spring the azaleas bloom beatifully with some hostas, euonomus, and taxus as my foundations plantings. The plants are at maturity now and so there is lots of hedge trimming.
  7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry if you think I pre-judged. Wait, why am I apoligizing? I did pre-judge.

I'm not trying to get into a p*ssing match, though. Just pointing out that, even though he didn't give an idea on budget, he did say something about her wanting COLOR. Yeah, I guess Taxus and Euonymous have color---GREEN! Now if you were thinking along the lines of a variegated euonymous shrub, like 'Emerald 'N' Green' or another variety, then, OK, you could use that for color....

And I believe I read your original post right, you didn't say anything about azaleas there.....

Like I said, not trying to get into a p*ssing match. :)

8. We cut for money

yeah, you read my mind. Euonomus as in gold/green/ the conifers with red berries/azaleas I left out. I figured he would know what I am talking about. Most of us guys have had to plant something from time to time.
  9. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, great ideas!