1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first pond, check it out

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by KSL, Oct 7, 2007.

1. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

pond i just recently finished...

2. KSL

KSL LawnSite Member
    from MI

a few more pics

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, clean work- but it looks really artificial.
  4. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the pond. Looks like you are getting great water clarity. You did a nice job with your planting too. The streams looks man made for sure, but that is not always bad. Overall very nice looking. I bet they are pleased huh? Did you use 2 separate liners parallel for the falls, or one wide liner?
  5. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

that's pretty dang sweet!!!
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

It's not bad. I think many homeowners would like that.

To me, it doesn't look natural at all. And not all of the ones we've done look 100% natural either. But that's one thing I always strive for. I try to vary the placement, size, kind, and color of rock to make them look more natural. It just looks too structured, too symmetrical, not random enough.
  7. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I agree is is too uniform or formal, yet many people enjoy that. In reality probably 999 out of 1000 plastic ponds do NOT look natural, so don't sweat it. It is easy to see you do maticulous work; nature is a lot sloppier. ;)

You will know it looks natural when someone accuses you of using photos from out in the forest.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

man you guys are brutal... I bet he is off either counting his money or crying in the corner that you guys slammed him. Well since we are at it... the lighting should of been hidden and there should be a minimum of 2 underwater lights in the lower pond. Im not crazy about seeing the connections on the right side either and feel they should of been hidden from the front view.

All in all I would say it looks outstanding for your first one tho. Keep it up and never stop learning.
  9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I like it. I'm not gonna berate your first pond. Looks good to me and I'd enjoy having it in my yard.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What comments above did you consider brutal? I thought everyone went pretty easy on him. I've seen guys here on Lawnsite get really slammed for even better work, over the years. I though we were all pretty gentle on him. I'm just curious whose comments you thought were so brutal? Over half to the above comments were 100% positive. And the few comments (like mine) that were a little critical, were also quite positive too. Did you expect everyone to just give nothing but compliments? I thought this was an open forum where people could give their honest opinions. As long as everyone is respectful and constructive in their criticism, I think it only adds to the forum. Am I wrong?