1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

First pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by chesterlawn, Dec 22, 2011.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

This is a small pond I did at my house.

PA260061.jpg

PB040070.jpg

PB170074.jpg

PC020087.jpg

2. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

It looks pretty good. But what size of pump do you have, the falls look a little weak. They appear to be just coming out of the centre of the feature. I think it should be spread wider.

Just my $.02.....But for a first....very good.

3. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

How big is the pond? The biofilter looks way undersize. Just by the water flow it looks like 1000-1200gph pump. Why didnt you continue using round stone under the falls to give it a more natural look. Edges are nicely postion but then you go and put flatstone between, it looks choppy. Your mix of stone and plants look great its just the waterfall itself. Great job over all though for first attempt.

4. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

The ducks seemed thrilled with it lol..

5. chesterlawn

Thanks, I had no idea what size pump to get but that's what the store recomended. It's 1150 gph I think. The stone I got from a nearby stream. I guess I could have used roundstone for the fall, I just didn't think of it, but I'm not done with it so I may change it. My ducks I had to kick out of the pond because they started eating the moss off the stones. I wouldn't let them in it anyway because they would have it all fouled up in no time. It's about 10'x13'

6. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

What skimmer did you use. Looks good

7. chesterlawn

.I don't have one. I got all the plants from the stream to, going back in the spring to see what else I can find.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  8. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

For your first attempt.......B+.

You definitely need a larger pump and more bioconversion(filtration). The addition of a skimmer is a given. Without one, you will soon have a Muck Pit.

Keep in mind that the primary function of a pond is to support life and should be constructed to provide the optimum conditions for creating a healthy, self-sustaining eco-system. Sadly, many contractors overlook or de-emphasize this basic fact.

9. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had good luck with the savio Skimmers. You can find good deals on them on eBay. I would add a Skinner and a UV looks good
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. chesterlawn

A coulple of updated pics. I put in a skimmer but kept the pump the same, my wife likes the sound of the water falling the way it is. I have a screen in the pond covering a lilly that's trying to grow, fish keep nibbling at it, also covering a plant on the side of the pond.

P5260312.jpg

P5260311.jpg

P5260315.jpg