First Possible Sod Job.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Pietro, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Hey whats new everyone? I think I may be getting my first sod job, ive done some sodding in my yard, but this is an entire front yard sod job, and im just wondering what the best way to do it is. Do i need to Till the entire yard? Or can I just rake or thatch it........Then i figure ill water the dirt, then lay the sod down? Anything is helpful.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on laying sod under the search feature in here and see what it comes up with for you

3. Pietro

LOL I knew there had to be a search button.....I didnt see it before, but i just found it. Thanks

4. sheshovel

OK lemmie know if you can't find what you need I will take the time to write it all out for ya.

5. Pietro

Okay so ive got the basic idea of how to do it. Remove most of the weeds and dead grass, then lightly till up the ground. Spread some fert.......but the only prob is I dont know where to buy lime..........I was looking at this stuff http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...earchResults.jsp&MID=9876&N=2984+5521&pos=n18

Will it work? Then I lay the sod and use a roller on it.......then water the crap outta it for 2 weeks.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why do you need lime? is the ph too low?

7. Pietro

No idea. Im going to get the soil tested......its a relativly new home too......most likely built on farmland.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

if it was built on farmland, I highly doubt it will need lime

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Spray glyphosphate to kill the weeds, come back in a week and rototill the area, smooth out with a rake, let soil settle, adjust ph if required then lay sod.

10. sheshovel

You lay sod like you do bricks as far as pattern goes

.Keep your seams tight.Don't use lime unless a soil test says you need it.