First post/De-thatch question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Jet-Mech67, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Jet-Mech67

Jet-Mech67 LawnSite Member

Hey guys love the website awesome info. My question is do I need to De-Thatch my yard. I have been living here for 8 yrs and I mainly mulch not bag. I was at H.D yesterday and saw a De-Thatch/Power rake for my mower. Is this thing a waste of time or will it work for me? Is this the right time of year for De-Thatch? Thanks Fellas and again love the website. :usflag:
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

8 years without dethatching, I would say yes your lawn would love you for it, the attachment for the mower is not something I would put a lot of faith in but, thats up to you, I would recommend going and renting a power rake, Home depot probably has them in the tool rental area. this time of year there probably is a waiting list to get it though.
  3. RLSLandscaping

RLSLandscaping LawnSite Member

rent a power rake...from HD, $45 for 4hours or $60 for 24hrs...if yer lawn is on the big side and or hilly get it for 24HRs that thing can be a little tough to push around...this year I did 9 lawns in 1 day with that thing and squeezed in 2 more the next morning before the 9:00am return time lol...cause I'm cheap lol I will never do it again. talk to a neighbor and split it with them.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need a JRCO tine rake, I love mine. run the bagger at the same time and clean up as I go.
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

If your lawn is thick and healthy , leave it alone. If you mainly mulch or bag, you should not have a buildup of thatch so again leave it alone. mulched clippings compost in appr 72 hours under normal conditions. If however you do have a thatch buildup of 1/2 " or more it is a good idea to dethatch. Mich States agronomic dept suggests every 5-7 years if needed, or you have insects, molds, funguses that predominantly live in the thatch layer, then dethatch and treat with fungicide, herbicide or insecticide dethatch 1st then treat.
  6. Jet-Mech67

Jet-Mech67 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys..I went with the aeration instead of the power rake. So we will see what that sucker kicked my ..It was a Bluebird from Home Depot..again thanks for all the info. :usflag:
  7. Derek9D

Derek9D LawnSite Member

yeah we have one of those on our mower and it works great with the mower goin and w/e it dont pick up we have the other mower goin right behind it.