First Post... Introduction

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sandman23, Jan 8, 2007.

1. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

I have been a lurker on this site for around 6 months now. I have spent countless hours on this site and learn something new every day. Thanks to the guys who make it happen. I have learned a lot by listening to you guys (and ladies). I think that is a great resource for information on this industry. There are so many different views and opinions on how to operate and I am finding that I can learn a little something from each opinion and then form my own.

A little about me:
    I have a POS job. I make 55K. I have been with the company for 11 years. I am an Asst. Manager for a building supply company. This is a very demanding and stressful job. My store does 600K/mo. and we run wide @ss open. My max potential at this company is 80-100K.

The problem is that I can't stand my job. I do not believe in their policies and the way that they conduct business. There is absolutely no accountability or structure. I do not know how they are profitable. Upper management doesn't want to hear about any problems or changes. They like things the way they are and will threaten your job if you create waves. Sure I could climb that ladder and play the game but I honestly don't think that my future is with this company. There is no satisfaction at the end of the day. This brings me to the "Green Industry".

I live in an extremely prosperous part of North Georgia. Everybody pays to have things done for them around here. Good for me. I am not entering this profession completely blind. I did some hardscaping and landscaping when I was younger. I also have a best friend who owns a popular "Fert & Squirt" in the area. He is not only a best friend but he is an excellent resource for knowledge and customers. He is finding that his customers want full service and he cannot (and does not want to) provide that. He makes plenty of money with Chem.’s. This is where I come in. He turns me onto the work and in return, I service his lawn. He has been asking me to do this for years but I have not had the marbles to take the plunge until recently. I have witnessed 2 different LCO’s start from his referrals. I see this as a huge opportunity to try my hand in something new. I do have somewhat of a passion for the industry and look forward to this venture.

So that’s about it. I am going to do this the right way. I have my business license. I have 1M in Liability. I will be incorporated by March. I just got QBooks. I have an accountant. I have cards, invoices, contracts, and eval sheets. I have scraped enough money to buy some decent equipment. I have built a small customer base and I am starting to get a feel for the profession. I will continue to learn as much as possible about the industry. And, most importantly, I have a wonderful wife who makes good money and is being very supportive of my decision.

Short term goal... 40-50 accts. Enough to supplement current income. Long term goal... Build a reputable business, provide great customer service, and turn enough profit to provide a comfortable living for my family. I know that I will not be the richest man but hopefully I can earn a decent living and end each day feeling accomplished.

If you are still listening, thanks. You must be bored!

2. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Looks to me like you arw all set. You have experience, connections, equipment, all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!!!:laugh:

3. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Welcome aboard Sandman!

Were you affected by the tornados this past week? Hope not.

4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Begin happy at the end of the day,and begin proud of what youve accomplished is worth more than any dollar amount IMO. Best of luck sounds like you off to a good start. Welcome to lawnsite.

5. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite. Your story sounds very similar to mine, except I made it through the"corporate crap" ...and will be leaving my "other job" in 5 months after 31 years to do this full time.

I had (have) similar income and similar headaches from the corporate world, and look forward to the piece I get working all day for myself out with Mother Nature. An old lady once told me years and years ago, "always stay close to nature" ... and that is something I have always remembered and always believed in.

I am happy right now with 40-45 weekly maintenance accounts, and use my extra time for other jobs like mulching, smaller installation jobs, etc. I like the balance I can control on how much I can, or can not work, and the amount of free time I can have for other things in life. My "corporate" world left me with little free time during the available hours for my kids. In other words, I worked Sunday's and evenings, taking away my family time. Friday's and mornings were great for running my business, but when the kids are out of school and such ... ol' dad was at the office.

Good Luck ... and post often.

Dave

6. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck to you. I hope all works out.

Dave, you have a sharp website. The look is crisp and clean and you're not throwing too much info to your visitors. Did you do it yourself?

7. GELAWNS

GELAWNS LawnSite Member

It took 20 months from the start of the company before quitting the office job. Good luck!

8. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I did ... and thanks for the kind words. I've got to get back on there and add a little more this Spring, but I kind of like your analogy of not giving out "to much" info.

Thanks again ...

Dave

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome aboard. I am jealous ... Acworth is thriving with opportunity! That whole area is wonderful. Woodstock isn't the best area, but Roswell, Marietta, Buford, and all of Gwinnett Co. is booming!

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a similar story to you Sandman. I worked in the software development field for the past 15 years eventually ending up as a Manager. I hated the corporate BS. So now I am starting a LCO while getting a Landscape Design Certificate from George Washington University. The program takes 3 years to complete and by that time I hope to convert my lawn maintenance operation into a design and build one. Good Luck!