first post

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green_LLC, Sep 6, 2005.

1. green_LLC

green_LLC LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of collecting information on start up equipment. I'm planning on providing basic lawncare service. Mowing, edging, and using a backpack blower for cleaning. My inital goal is to maintain 24 residential contracts. So if the majority of my clients have say one half acre lots? Generally what type of mower (ZTR) would do the best job? From what I've been reading they all look very competitive. I take great care of my equipment, so I'll be buying new. Thanks
  2. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

wright stander, or whatever the closest dealer is. parts and service are very important.
  3. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is great that you take very good care of your equipment and that will make it last longer (well duh!!!!). Anyway, it really depends on what the closest dealer is and if they are to your liking or not. If you don't mind driving 30 mins to a dealer that you like then do that, IMO, it is worth a little more time and gas to go to a dealer that you like rather than one close by that you don't like! I personally like exmark, but scag, JD, bunton, and some others you will hear of will all have people saying that they are very happy with there equipment brand. I really hope that made sense!! Anyway, good luck with your search, any other questions i might be able to answer my email is!
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we use a 48" 15 hp bobcat on our properties. (around 35) i wouldn't go less then 48 unless you have alot of fenced in yards.
  6. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

you don't need a z for 1/2 acre lots, you'd be better off with a 48" WB and maybe a 32" and definitely a 21" if you have tight spots to get into. you could get all three for the same price as a high-end z.
  7. green_LLC

green_LLC LawnSite Member

Thank you all very much for your input. I'll continue looking at different options and try to define the right type of equipment for the job. I'm going to find the manufactures in the Tampa area and get a closer look at the features their machines offer. Service and parts are a huge benifit. Just starting out-I want to make sure I don't buy more machine than I need, but more importantly not enough. I'm hoping I end up somewhere in the middle. My next post will be related to the features I find.

Thanks everyone!