First Post !!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bobcat s250 NY, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

How we all doing??? I have been a long time reader first time poster in this forum... I was curious how many of you guys are IA certified? I went and took the test with my pops 3 or 4 years ago(damn was it boring). Needless to say it has done nothing except cost money for dues and a few meetings to BS now and again. Since the main reason behind the certification will never get passed here on the island do you guys think its worth it to stay a member? Also those of you that are , What was the pass fail rate in your neck of the woods.. Over here i took the test with 30 people and only 5 passed and of that 5 my pop and i were 2 or em. The scary thing was that the majority of the people that took the test here were the so called big shots.. Guess they dont know much about hydraulics. LOL I mean really these guys have been around for 15 yrs and the failed horribly. The majority of the guys around here are giving work away for nothing... Thank god we only do referral work.

BTW any of you guys down around the island, would u be interested in a sort of group by for poly? I have worked deals last year to buy a couple trailers at a time. I spoke with my guy and he said 300 foot 1" rolls would be like 44 dollars.. If your interested let me know.. Thanks

2. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Lol i may be the youngest member!!!

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the forum. Put on your hardhat and boots because sometimes it gets a little rowdy in here. Just remember that it's nothing personal if you get called on the carpet. :p

I've thought about IA certification for a long time but can't talk the bosses into it. Don't really want to pay for it myself and don't see the advantages in our area. However, when the new laws come in for CA I might rethink things.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

your not the youngest.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If given a choice, NEVER let a certification attained expire. Unless you just can't afford it (if your buying poly by the semi, this ain't the case), pay the dues. You never know when it might come in handy. Now, footing the bill to become certified in anything is something I think everyone should weigh cautiously. If the opportunity is there and the costs are right, I always say go for it. I haven't needed a Class A drivers license for a long time, but I'm not going to quit paying that little bit extra each time to let it expire. I did get lazy and quit taking the endorsement tests every four years, but I can add those back with a written test at any time. Don't give up something you would have to work to re-aquire.

6. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

That makes alot of sense. Guess it comes with age. Im guess im wasnt really thinking it through about the possibility of needing it later on.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Don't go buying poly just yet. The price might drop some more.

8. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm IA certified.... haven't been a year yet but seems like it will be worth the $30 a year just for advertising purposes... I made a new proposal sheet for installs that has on it, "make sure your sprinkler company is certified by the Irrigation Association".... not too many people are around here.

I went to VA to take the test... there were two people there taking the test.. me and another guy...

that's exactly what poly pipe costs here (as of the last time I bought pipe). 14.7 cents a foot ($44.10 for 300')

I'm young as well... 22... I think JonHolland is 22 also... where has he been?

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I have the auditor certification. Took the 1.5 day class and half day test last year. Fairly expensive at a little over 400 bucks. The test is 75 questions and you have to get at least 70% right. It takes at least 6 weeks for them to inform you if you pass. Then they only tell you pass or fail not what you scored. This is probably the easiest and cheapest of the programs they offer.

I'm considering the certified designer courses/tests. Last time I checked, it was going to cost around 900 for the whole process.

BSME- which certification/test did you take?

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I took the CIC exam.... I didn't take the class but just bought the books...

It did kind of suck how long it took for them to get back to you and I would have liked to know as well what I got wrong...

overall it was pretty easy but I was surprised how much stuff they had on there about OHSA and general business stuff like bidding on large jobs...

the hydraulic stuff was easy though

I am also thinking of doing the design certification... seems the most useful