First Retaining Walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by drsogr, Aug 6, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are my first retaining walls that I have done. They are both on the same house. I had done borders...but no real retaining walls to speak of. Remember these are my first...so be nice! The customers were overwhelmed with how well it turned out. I had explained to them that these would be my first, and gave them a slight price break because of that.

Retaining Wall 1.JPG

2. drsogr

Here is the other wall with stairs.

Retaining Wall 2.JPG

3. drsogr

I will be doing the plantings and installing the sod when the weather cools back down. They don't want me to plant in 100+ weather.

4. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Came out nice for the first time, LOT better then what I have seen. But there are some problems I will point out.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

i'm impressed but i'm also still learning on block walls...........care to point out the problems?

6. jazak

from NJ

Here they are. With the red arrows they point out the slope. You should have leveled this out. They lime green- once you leveled this area out it looks like that there is a garage under the deck, no? If so then this should be concreted or paved. With the blue I see no walway, ext it may just be the angle the pic was taken at. I also see no drainage pipes. Ther are some more coming.

Retaining%20Wall%202.JPG

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

slopes, gotcha.........i was looking for something structural

8. jazak

from NJ

Here are the last. With the pink circle I hope the blocks have been glued or cemented if not they WILL fall. With the blue how the pic was taken it looks like there is only 1' between the bottom and top wall. Is this correct or is it just the pic? Other then that it looks good.

Retaining%20Wall%202.JPG

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

How did you do the arrows. Thanks,
    Mike

10. jazak

from NJ

Saved the pic then edited it paint and drew the arrows. Since the ground wasn't leveled if it does get leveled and the wall block doesn't go that far down you WILL have to replace the wall.