First Rock Wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Brian Hay, May 17, 2008.

1. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

Here is what I will be starting next week. This is my first time doing something like this and I'm really looking forward to it. Some of you guys may laugh at how long it takes me but that's ok. I am going to take my time and be sure it is done right. I don't know why I never posted this here sooner. I have friends/colleagues who are experts to lean on for advice when I need it but I'm sure you guys will have lots of great tips for me too.

So here it is. My machine is sitting at the bottom of the slope (were it gets steep) and the rock will be dropped in front of it. First thing I will do is build the wall along side it up to the same level as the neighbors and make nice trail up between the two yards.

075.JPG

076.JPG

077.JPG

084.JPG

2. Brian Hay

Next I will go up top and build another wall were it is already cut out, level things nicely and then from the top the view will be the ocean, beautiful.

078.JPG

079.JPG

082.JPG

085.JPG

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Damn you, all your jobs seem to have a nice view of the ocean!

And take as much time as you need, even those walls look like they were just slapped together.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

sell the neighbors one too......i'm pretty confident that dry stacked boulders will hold up better then dry stacked cinder blocks

i've got a similar job i'm trying to put together.....slope and all......how bad would it make your day if while handling a boulder it got away from you and rolled down the hill, into the house!

5. Brian Hay

HaHa I sure am lucky to work here eh Ron, this whole Island is a paradise eh! What a great place to work.

I have another one to do after this one tthomass, two doors down :cool2:

Can you imagine if one got away, even if it didn't hit the house it would make a mess of that concrete pad at the bottom. I will have to be extra careful thats for sure.

On the next wall I'm doing after this one the customer wants all the spaces filled in with shot crete? Is that something any of you guys have done before? Is it a good idea? Any other suggestions that may work better?

6. tthomass

from N. VA

like a giant blind mortar wall?

7. Brian Hay

Is that what you would call it? I'm not sure, this is new to me. I'm going to sub that part out because I don't know how to do it and I want to make sure it is done right.

8. bobcat_ron

Filling the gaps with shotcrete makes the whole wall look cheap, using larger rocks as tie backs works better. If I had more free time I'd post pics of some rock walls as high as 100 feet up on Eagle Mountain, now those are walls.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

find time :)

10. bobcat_ron

No kidding.