first round all pre no fert??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mole cricket, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mole cricket

mole cricket LawnSite Member

thinking of going with all pre M first round and no fert but will there be problems down the road??
  2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i would say it depends what your last app was and the timing
  3. mole cricket

mole cricket LawnSite Member

I used 26-5-9 with 40% poly. I think with the price of fert is it realy worth it to pound the N first round as long as your winter app was good
  4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am north of you so I am unsure when you apply your pre-m but for me I make sure I apply my winterizer late enough. Out university also recommends no nitrogen before May 15 which I have followed the past 4 years with excellent results. So to answer your question I apply only either a granular or liquid pre-m. That way on many of my lawns where crabgrass is only a problem along edges I can apply the liquid.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i have considered this too, but not done it. i always use a low N in spring anyway to not promote fungus. never use high N in wet periods. bad practice there.

the problem is that the pre em only in granular is more $. not cool and we like granular better especially converting to all zsprays for apps.
  6. mnturfmaster

mnturfmaster LawnSite Member

I agree. We have always done only Pre-M in the spring with no fert. We never fertilize before may 15th. Last year with the late spring, i don't think we applied first round of fert. until about june 1st.
  7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

something like a 0-0-7 with pre m like dimension will work for the first round if done early enough.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Ant i know you want to be like james bond but 007
    what you have a license to kill
  9. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

We're all for low N to avoid disease problems but at the same time, it helps to have a little N in the mix to give the yard a little pop. At the end of the day I think most customers want to see a quick green-up. We start in March and it would be hard to justify waiting until mid to late May before applying any N.
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would have to say I am with you on this one!

It doens't take much...but I would hate the thought of putting NONE down early!

Probably works both ways...but I don't think I will ever try it!