1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First rounds sprayin pre-em

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by steve's total lawn care, Jan 6, 2013.

1. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

Is anybody about to start there first rounds of pre-em in oklahoma? When is a good time to start early? What pre-em should you use this early? I know it depends on the weather from season to season, but i have already seen some guys out spraying already!!
  2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

If the turf is St. Augustine, it could be an application for winter weeds such as Simazine rather than the pre-em. However, since pre will last about 6 weeks (under normal mediuim applications) then getting a kill on early emerging roots would be beneficial on high pressure lawns. On the coast we would use the Simazine in late November-early January since St. Augustine never really goes totally dormant. My own lawn on the coast is almost as green as in October.
  3. TurfWerks

TurfWerks LawnSite Senior Member

Steve what part of Oklahoma? I'm fixing to start my 1st round and I'm in Fort Smith. What your probably seeing is the big guys that have to start this early to get all their apps in before. Christmas..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. erhager

erhager LawnSite Member

We will start Round 1 in Mid February
  5. steve's total lawn care

TurfWerks im in south central oklahoma.
  6. steve's total lawn care

I seen another company out today spraying and they were using pendulum the yellow stuff but when mixed with blue dye it looks turquise plus i smelled it when i drove by and that stuff stinks. We use it for our crabgrass apps in spring its good stuff.
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Out CG germinates after Memorial Day, but we'll have the pre-m guys out as soon as the snow is gone... the ground may or may not be thawed and the ferts are also being applied at that time... So I don't think it is very important what is the 'right' time as it is a more important question,,, when is the most profitable time...

The more clients you get , the earlier you have to start...
  8. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

We are in OKC metro area & we started spraying prodiamine & glyphosate on 1/6.
  9. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Do any of you guys have a schedule you could send me for st augustine