1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Run In With A Lowballer This Year

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fredski119, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fredski119

fredski119 LawnSite Member

Well guys had my first run in with a lowballer this year. I put a bid in for two cemeterys for the city for $9500 . thats mowing spring & fall clean up , picking up the dead flowers on the grave stone and level the ground out when some one dies and the city said thats about 5 to 6 times year. I figure that just to cut the grass would be 3hrs a week thats with two guys. My cousin is a councilman for the city and told me that they paid $9800 last year so i put a bid in for $9500 with tax. Well i call the city to see if i got the bid they told no that somelse got it so i ask her for how much she said for $5000 . Am sick of runing into lowballers every year but from reading on this website that citys always go with the lowballers! Ive learn my lesson with citys its not worth my time pursuing them. LESSON LEARN CLASS OUT!!!!!
  2. ndunn

ndunn LawnSite Member

how many mows do you have in a season there?
  3. fredski119

fredski119 LawnSite Member

We Have About 28 To 30 Cuts A Season Around Here.
  4. xtremelawns

xtremelawns LawnSite Member

what might take you that long. (3) might take another company such as brickman 1.. Put 5 machines and 5 guyz out there and overhead is cheap as long as u have clients like that to fill up your day.. If it is city owned they would have to have insurance/tax id #.. Maybe im wrong who knows.. Just making conversation
  5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

What is lowballing?
    If it was 9800 the previous year and you bid 9500, is that not lowballing the other service from the previous year to get the job.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

good point
  7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts exactly.
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

gott remember gov. contract, once they are out it is common knowledge on the pricing. so maybe he undercuts his own price by a couple hundred hoping that someone woudl not do that to hlep gaurantee the contract for another. Or maybe he picked up a better machine which would increase his efficency and thus create a lower price, or maybe the scope of work changed slightly... A couple hundred bucks on a 10K bid isn't a low ball, but a few thousand is...
  9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

More like five thousand is:dizzy:
  10. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Funny how every year all of our expenses go up, yet the commercial and municipal contracts get cheaper every year