First season could use some advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by laidback2309, Apr 2, 2007.

1. laidback2309

laidback2309 LawnSite Member

In the process so starting a solo lawn care operation. In the process of becoming an LLC and getting insured. Have a truck, trailer, blower and edger. I'm looking to buy a used commercial mower. Any suggestions on what brand is the most reliable and what I should look for in a used mower? I would love to buy new but I just can't afford it.

Also, as far as advertising is concerned I did distribute flyers but havent seen much response with them. I decided not to continue with that strategy b/c I feel people see it as annoying. I will be posting ads in two local papers but should I also direct mail even though its expensive? Just curious as to how many responses people recieved for these methods. Do the "tear-off" flyers in local stores work at all?

Everyone I talk to says the market for lawn care & landscape is great and that people they know who've done it have been so successful that they have to turn people down...but the season is getting closer, my phone is still silent and im starting to sweat a bit.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

"Everyone I talk to says the market for lawn care & landscape is great and that people they know who've done it have been so successful that they have to turn people down...but the season is getting closer, my phone is still silent and im starting to sweat a bit."

Thanks in advance for any advice![/QUOTE]

Well I feel ya. I'm in the same boat. Got a few calls and emails from price shoppers and did one estimate but nothing signed as of yet. From my experience, I agree with you about the flyers. I've gotten lots of looks from people while I'm passing out flyers and at least I actually securely and legally attach them to their door as not to create litter. Just this past weekend I saw a guy haning door hangers on the flag of people's mailboxes and half of them were falling off. I'm starting to see what guys are talkin about when people think of LCO's as "the lawn guy". I've gotten some dirty looks. One woman was driving in her fancy suv and even slowed down and rolled her window down but then put it back up and drove away without saying anything while giving me an unfriendly look. Now actually contemplating selling my baby (that is my motorcycle) and use the money for more effective advertising and a little nest egg for expenses.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get discouraged....a lot of people on this site run their business with a finite number of customers....so they are always talking about turning people down "not dropping their gate for x amount" and working for x amount per minute. It takes time to get customer just put our the handouts they will come.

4. Keith1981

Keith1981 LawnSite Member

Try several different methods of advertising to see which works best in your area. I found that craigslist works pretty good. and its free!

5. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

as for the mower, find a good dealer and go in and talk to them, tell him your situation and maybe they can help you find a good used machine. this will help you start a relationship iwth a dealer which is very important. by a used brand he sells and build up your friendship so when it breaks they fix it fast. i have great luck with word of mouth but i guess that wont help you. good luck