First season off to a good start...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Precision Lawns, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well, passed out 500 flyers a little over 2 weeks ago and so far we've landed 4 yearly contracts. We've also had 1 call about a cleanup job (haven't been able to schedule that estimate yet - homeowner keeps rescheduling), one call that has to think about it a little more, one invitation to bid on an apartment complex, and the possibility of a HOA bid. Not bad, considering it's still only 40 degrees outside! We're hoping to start mowing mid-March and we'll be passing out some more flyers in the meantime. We're pretty excited, considering this is our first season. We were going to count ourselves lucky if we started the season with one yearly contract. With 8 calls and 4 accounts from 500 flyers, that's a 1.6% response rate and a .8% close rate. The advice from this site was pretty accurate!

2. Infinite

Infinite LawnSite Member

Well, passed out 500 flyers a little over 2 weeks ago and so far we've landed 4 yearly contracts. We've also had 1 call about a cleanup job (haven't been able to schedule that estimate yet - homeowner keeps rescheduling), one call that has to think about it a little more, one invitation to bid on an apartment complex, and the possibility of a HOA bid. Not bad, considering it's still only 40 degrees outside! We're hoping to start mowing mid-March and we'll be passing out some more flyers in the meantime. We're pretty excited, considering this is our first season. We were going to count ourselves lucky if we started the season with one yearly contract. With 8 calls and 4 accounts from 500 flyers, that's a 1.6% response rate and a .8% close rate. The advice from this site was pretty accurate!

Congrats on the accounts you landed!!! This is my first season on my own also. So far I landed 1 residential from a flyer that I hung in a grocery store, bidded two commercial accounts-1 is a sports complex, and I have two precious yards that I always cared for. The weather isn't very good in Ohio right now so I doubt mowing will start here until the first or second week in April. How long did it take you to hand out 500 flyers? Did you put some kind of coupon on it? Did you tape them to the door of houses? And also what types of neighborhoods did you target?

3. Precision Lawns

It took us one Saturday. We targeted upper-end new construction neighborhoods. Our flyers didn't have any coupon on it, but we did put a price for our standard mowing package on it (it had a blank for us to fill in at each house). We put the price and package info on the back and our logo, phone number, website, and info about our company on the front. We just stuck them in the doorjams of the houses.

In one neighborhood, the driveways were really long so we stuck them in the flags of the mailboxes, but then we got a call from the PO saying you can't put a flyer ANYWHERE on a mailbox, not just inside them, and if we did it again it was a $300 fine PER MAILBOX. That neighborhood was in a different county than the others we targeted (we live on the border of 3 counties), and apparently their laws are different. Luckily we just got a warning, because if they had fined us it would have been an $18,000 fine! So we've got to do that subdivision again - the right way this time. So I guess that means we really only did 440 flyers, since we're pretty sure the PO collected all the other flyers.

The calls we have gotten are all pretty complimentary of the flyer. And we actually had 2 of our customers agree to yearly service right at the beginning of the call since we had put the price on it. They just called and said "Got the flyer, it looked good and the price was right, sign me up!"

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

that's a federal issue, but enforced by the local postmaster. if you've done it elsewhere, you were in violation, but happened to be only nailed on that one occassion.

5. Precision Lawns

We only did it in that one subdivision due to the really long driveways. It just happened to be the one that we weren't allowed to do it in. We asked when they called b/c we thought it was only if we put stuff IN the mailboxes, and that's when they told us it varied from county to county. But we won't be doing that anymore no matter where we are, because it's just not worth the risk. All the other flyers were put on doors.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That is NOT TRUE period. As you were told it is a FEDERAL OFFENSE to not only put it anywhere on or in the mailbox but also anywhere on the mailbox post without Postage, and that is the LAW in every single town, city, county and state in this country again because it is Federal and if the PO employee that called you told you different he/she is a total dumbazz.