First seed germinates in spring

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RigglePLC, May 2, 2013.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

You are behind, We have dandelions and some was going to seed to.
    Even have morels mushrooms popping

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Our soil may be thawed out by the end of the week...

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Gosh it is cold where you are is Wis, Axe. But take a look.
    http://www.gddtracker.net/?model=8&offset=0&zip=49508
    You must enter your zip code to see the full details. Looks like we would be late on crabgrass control where I am. Click "Crabgrass"--pre, or click "broadleaf" to see the GDD50 readings for your area, if you are near Michigan, Indiana, Ohio or Illinois. No need to enter your company name...that is optional.
    I hope things thaw out soon.

4. Smallaxe

At least we got only the rain from this storm... some folks are buried under NEW snow for a while yet... :)

5. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is something. What kind of grass species do you like in your neck of the woods? KBG?

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

No seedlings today

7. Smallaxe

The common mixes for grass in lawns include KBG, Per. Ryegrass, RC and Chewings Fescues...

Usually we have forsythia bloom in April and start mowing about that time, this year the global warming is equal to the 1960s and 1970s... too much snow for the ground to warm, even in 14 hrs of daylight... :)

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Well The lawn with straw germinated before the hydro seed lawn

As of this morning the Straw lawn is almost all green and Hydro seeding Lawn is patchy but is filling in slowly. We are getting rain to night so with 70temps at night, so it will start growing faster. I have to apply 20-0-5 iron slow release as soon I am able walk on it that's looking to be at, end of the week

9. Smallaxe

Congratulations,,, on Spring germination and your straw cover is better than hydroseeding... good to know... almost all of the 'dormant seed', from last Dec. is up as of last week also, except for the Poa Supina... :)

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Look at Hydro seed Lawn today and there grass coming but not much hydro mulch is left I may have to blow some more mulch on it.
    If it wasn't for USDA it would been straw