1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First show my thoughts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frue, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to my first show of the year yesterday. The equipment is too much, the handhelds are all throw aways after a year, and the maintenance on the equipment is getting more and more difficult.

The exmark school says you must change your oil every 50 hours now. So for me that would be about 23 changes a year. That is double from last year. I thought with addeed technology things got better? Wrong.... The new pumps on the exmark is 1800.00 to fix! How poopy is this! They had plenty that went last year also.

I bought 2 new echos last year and a stihl. So I go to the echo guy and say hey my echos run like poop. what did you guys do different with the new engines? He said you cant put gas that contains 10% ethanol in it. O i said ok so your are making equipment that cannot run on gas because it all contains 10% ethanol. Its standard now since bushes last year in office. So basically echo is a one year and done throw away (weed eaters and small blowers) The stihl you have to adjust the valve after so often.

What is this market coming to? The machines on average went up about 1200. What are these manufactures thinking! you did not sell machines last year now you raise them more. These are educated people we are dealing with?

I had to vent a bit! Unbelievable..........A quick shout out to M&R you guys put on a heck of a show yesterday. Good Job
  2. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't buy eXmark equipment.
    I heard they were going up in price.
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You must use the heck out of your machines, with lots of hours. 23 changes would be 1,150 hours. Wow.

If you're talking engine oil I'm pretty sure it's always been 50 hours. The hydro oil was one change, then filter only for quite a while, but mine is a 2003.

Echo also requires mid-grade gas now, I believe. I'm sure the alcohol in gas isn't great for anything except corn farmers.

4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

This new pump system JD and Exmark went to that all the guys on here are talking about. Wont be so happy when they got to work on them. If you look at them its going to cost more than working on a simple wheel mtr or single pp. Think Ill stick with the old system.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we dont have issues with gas except when hot we have to run premium on handhelds. we use echo. no biggie

as far as prices going up, well, it may not be choice, it may be materials. dont know, but the idea of them raising prices now leads one to assume that be the reason, cause surely it could never be greed, right.?
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

how many guys have been doing the same regular maintenance at the same times year and after year after year? and now because some dealer says you need to do it this much or that much your gonna change your maintenance schedule.

here's what i say. if you run a maintenance schedule that hasn't caused you any problems forget about that exmark dealer saying you need to change your oil every 50 hours. if you change it very 200 hours and thats been working stick with it.

i personally change my oil once a season in all my mowers. greasings get done when the manual says they do on the mowers i use on a daily basis. the others get greased as i see fit. i've never had a single problem with any of my machines and i'm not gonna change how often i change my oil just because all of a sudden the dealer says you need to change your oil every 50 hours.

question for the dealer, what changed from last year that all of a sudden i need to change my oil more frequently???
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

wow, those engines cant run well if you put tons of hours b4 changing oil, not smart. but hey, if it works well nuf 4 U!!!

we will stick to our regular schedule too, every 50 on gas and every 100 on diesels, just like the manual says
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The manuals for my Kohler and Kawasakis both say 100 hours on the oil and 200 hours on the filters. I do what it says to do. The Dixie manual says 1,000 hours on the hydro system oil and filter but I change them at around 500 since it's 2 years.
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I want to see the Kohler manuals (engines with an oil filter) that say to change the oil every 50 hours. I've had more than a few over the years and they have always been every 100 hours on the oil and every 200 on the filter, at least as far back as I can recall. I just change the filter every time.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to hijack this thread but there's something I just have to say.

Time and time again I see certain operators that say that people cannot operate cheaply. Costs are high and fairly fixed between operators and if people like me actually knew what our costs were then we wouldn't stay in business. I know what my costs are. I've been in business since 1994 and I intend to stay here as long as I am able.

One of the ways I do keep costs in check is by doing maintenance the way the book says. I'm not trying to beat up on you grassman177 but if you're doing oil and filter changes at 50 hours then you're spending significantly more money on that then I am and there is no benefit to it.