First Skid Steer Purchase

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by StevensL&L, Jan 22, 2009.

1. StevensL&L

StevensL&L LawnSite Member

Hey guys this coming Spring our company is going to purchase our first Skid Steer. Im looking for something that can lift at least full pallets of bricks for unloading off of trucks. Im just unsure of what brand would be the best? Any suggestions on what to get or what NOT to get. THANKS, Steven.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

How much you looking to spend, and will it get used year round??

3. StevensL&L

StevensL&L LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes i will be using it year around. As far as how much to spend Im thinking it should run between 20,000 and 30,000 Im justing starting my just starting my research so im not completely sure.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

This would be better off in the Heavy Equipment and paving Forum, there's alot of knowledge in there..

5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on spending several hours a day in this machine I would consider a model that has electronic joystick controls. I plow snow with a S185 Bobcat and my wrists get pretty sore after pushing the traction controls for more than 4 hours straight. I will definitely lobby for the ACS controls on our next Bobcat. My experience has been that Bobcat are well worth the price you pay.

Some pallets of brick weigh more than 2000 lbs. Consider an S205 or S250 for loads this heavy. Track machines are great in spring, summer, and fall but suck if you want to plow snow with them.

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Now that last part isnt totally true, a rigid frame track loader (A ctl like a Bobcat, NH, Case, JD) is bad for pushing snow. An MTL like an ASV or CAT loaders with ASV undercarriages are great for pushing snow.. Like I said put this in the Heavy equipment forum and you'll get lots of knowledge and help..

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Most pallets of brick weigh in at 3000 to 3500 lbs. You won't be lifting these off with any bobcat 205 or even a 250. I use a gehl 5640e with counterweight and it will lift more than any bobby cat in the same weight category. It will lift the 3000lb pallets with ease, the heavier pallets we need to unload one or two rows max if we are unloading from our 5 ton truck. What you need to do is what I did 2 yrs ago, and get 2 or 3 co's to loan you for a day or two and do all the tests you need, like picking up pallets and comfort etc. Especially important is the overall view out the cab. This is where the gehl shines in my opinion. Check em out you won't be dissapointed. Hey they are made in the usa right, can't be that bad.

gehl 5640 003 (Medium).jpg

8. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bobcat 763g and I do like it but now that I have some experience with the machine I keep thinking I should have gone with an 8 or 9 series.

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Sweet looking machine

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That last company I worked for, we went through 2 Gehls in 6 months. One broke the motor mounts, and the second one had a bad motor.

Not saying they are all that way, we might have just got two lemons.

My favorite machine that I've driven is the Takeuchi. Awesome machine.

If and when I get a skid, I'm highly considering the Bobcat A300 with the 4 wheel steering system.http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/product_lines/all_wheel_steer/a300

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009