1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

First small retaining wall

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by stocksngrass, Aug 6, 2005.

1. rakeeye

rakeeye LawnSite Member

Slow down buddy. There is nothing wrong with trying to learn a new trade. But perhaps your learning should be done at classes, seminars, or as an understudy working for a qualified hardscaper. Not on a homeowners property.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It looks good for your first job,but you gotta ask yourself ,
    Is it good?Without proper drainage behind a wall the wall may look good but it's basic structure and planning are bad.
    It's fine you stand behind your work,you ever have to fix a failed wall?It's sure no fun to eat that kind of labor because
    you did not do the research beforehand.
    All walls require drainage behind the whole length curves and all.Especialy on curves.I am not putting you down,Just letting you know that a missed step in the process of wall building can cause you a huge headache later on.This is basic stuff.
    What I think is you knew about drainage and digging back the wall but chose to skip it because you diden't "deem it necessary".Next time I hope you will "deem it necessary because it is.

3. stocksngrass

stocksngrass LawnSite Member

The most vulnerable part of the wall has drainage but yes, i should have done more research...I'm anxious to see how the wall will hold in upcoming years, i honestly feel it will be ok but if not then i'll have to get my butt to work on it