1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First sod job...need a little advice.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Sep 14, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here it is in a nutshell.

Front lawn measures at 3,000 sq ft. Some grass, but mostly crabgrass. I was planning on killing all vegetation. Wait one week and run dethatcher over it to break it up. Come in and scalp mow to collect and some raking if needed, followed my a shallow rototill and cut edge along concrete. Sod will cost $650 delivered. I am guessing about 4 hours prep time. Total cost to customer is around $1600.

I have soded many lawn when I landscaped, but all were new lawns and I had no idea of the pricing. Does my methods and charges sound about right???

I will show some before and after pics later...if interested.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

what type of sod?

Price is to cheap in my opinion. You are doing a lot of prep for it.
  3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Price sounds too low. Also, you will have a lot of work if you till and plan on removing all of the vegetative growth. If you don't get it al;l, you'll have some pocket areas in the soil as it decomposes and the lawn will not be as smooth as it could if you were to stip it out w/ a machine or sod cutter. You could kill it, get a skid steer w/ toothed bucket, scarify, rake out & load debris and haul it, then grade & sod, but I would charge more than $.52 or so a sqft that you're quoting.
  4. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

spray it w/ round-up wait two weeks, rent a sod cutter, rake it out, rototill/ amend soil. grade and roll sod. I charge by the square foot for demo and prep. $1600 IS WAY LOW at least around here it is, It cost me $75 a ton to dump old sod/ dirt. Good luck. Go at least a buck a sq. ft. on demo
  5. walker-talker

from Midwest

Sorry...... it's fescue.
  6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Im doing one in a few weeks. 1000 sq for $1000
    I plan on sod cutting, rototilling, leval, roll and lay sod. Using a roller after you leval will help find soft are low spots.
    Its all fescue and crab grass, Id probally charge more if there was bermuda grass involved.
    sod cutter rental $60
    rototiller borrow for free
    sod $280
    dump fees $40 max
    Leaves me about $600 for my time, should take me 6-8 hours
    I think you will have more than 4 hours prep. If you scalp the lawn and then rototile you will end up with the clumps of roots all mixed up in the soil, Ive done it that way before and its more trouble then sod cutting, on the lawn i did it on. It may work out for you.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think it might take more than 4 hours. I just didnt want to hassle with the sod cutter. I thought it would be less hassle just to dethatch to remove the top growth and then rake out the clumps after tilling vs removing all that sod.
  8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I am doing a job just slightly more than twice the size of yours. Ticket for the job is just over $8000
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I did a job recently 3000 square feet. $3000 dollars. The lawn was very sparse so I just rototilled it up. Normally I would roundup 7-10 days ahead. Then rototill with 2 passes One North South the other East West to 6 inches.

I don't sod cut, because in Florida, you only have 2-3 inches of topsoil. I don't roll either after I rototill and lay the sod. I just have the client start sprinkling as soon as I get an area done and sprinkle for an hour twice daily for 2 weeks. Keeps the new sod wet and tamps down everything quite well.

And yes I think your price is very low. Laying sod is hard work and no one complains about the price and if they do have them call a scrub. For another idea on pricing, call a sod company and see what their installed price is. You might be surprised at how much higher it is than yours.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Green side up!!!! when laying it down.