First Sod Job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cal916, Feb 1, 2004.

1. cal916

cal916 LawnSite Member

I am bidding my first sod job and am kinda confused at what to charge. The total area is 2,500 sq ft lawn. There is 1512 sq ft in back that has grass growing on it poorly and 1028 sq ft in the front that has no grass but needs to be leveled from a tree removal there is also a possiblity of roots throughout the front yard. The job also includes adding drainage to the back, removing a shed, removing a patio, planting a tree, and preping (removing rock)a 908 sq ft area for concrete.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Specs for drainage? Size / type of patio? Size / material of storage bldg?Size / type of tree? Equipment you will use for renovation / installation / rocking? Will you need topsoil? Need more info please.:confused:

3. cal916

cal916 LawnSite Member

specs for drainage are going to be 28 ft of rock (removed from side of house where concrete is going) on either side of yard with 56ft of pipe under concrete on one side and 76 ft of pipe on the other side. Patio is 12 x 12ft wooden pation with built in wooden benches. Storage building is 4x8x2.5 woode. Customer is undeceided as to what kind of tree wants something that will stay small. I am going to use topsoil, as far as equipment I have a tiller, I will need to rent a roller. I am thinking of sub contracting the concrete out or telling the customer that they need to find someone else. Let me know if I am forgetting anything. You are extremely helpful THANKS!!:D

4. impactlandscaping

How many people are going to be working with you on this job?And are you digging all this drain work and rock by hand?

5. cal916

cal916 LawnSite Member

2 people are working with me, I am looking into renting a trench digger.

6. impactlandscaping

What about equip for the demo work on the deck and building? How and where can you get rid of those materials?
    Do you need demo permits as well as construction permits?

7. cal916

cal916 LawnSite Member

Deck and shed both are home built a simple chainsaw and manpower should make easy work of them. Shed looks like it would fall down it you touched it wrong. I have a trailer and do hauling as part of my business there is a dump close by anad the customer will be paying actual dump fees. I do not think I will need any demo permits both structures look homeowner bulit and I am not doing concrete work and might not even subcontract it if it seems like to much trouble the customer will have to find them on their own.

8. impactlandscaping

All right....First , figure your raw cost of materials, deliveries, hauling time,rentals,dump fees,sod, etc. needed for the entire job.Add your margin percentage for markup.(20-100%-this is just a suggested range.You have to figure what you need to charge to make your desired profit margin)

Second-Figure prep and grading time as well as how to deal with the existing grass(Roundup, Harley rake it under,etc.)

Third- Figure your estimated total man hours for demo and install work.Add at least 15% to that figure.

Also, figure the weather into account as well when making your bid.You can bet as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, you can expect some sort of interference from the weather at some time.Just don't over extend yourself to this job timewise so that you get behind on regularly scheduled jobs/maintenance accounts.

Lastly, Get a signed contract,PERIOD. Outline the entire scope of work, materials to be used,timeline, guarantees(if any),payment schedule , etc. Cover yourself as well as possible.Also, try to sell a manitenance service package with the lawn install(watering, fert treatments, mowing).BTW-check up on local code enforcement for your drains before you bid as well.I hope any or some of this helps

9. cal916

cal916 LawnSite Member

Thanks Impact you have been of great help,,, my yard care mentor! lol

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

For the Sod alone I figure about $700 including labor, but that depends on the price you can get it for.
    All the prep work for something that small should be know more than $200.00

The drainage issue depends on your rentals/supplies and linear footage of projec.
    Best To You