First sod lay

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by A72CUTLAS, May 12, 2007.

1. A72CUTLAS

A72CUTLAS LawnSite Member

I am about to attempt to lay my first batch of sod :clapping: due to having too much shade for my Bermuda. My lawn is about 900 sqft wrapped around an irregular shaped shrubbery/planting bed. This will require about 2.5 pallets of Zoysia sod, according to the sod farm lady.

Now heres my question... can I haul this much sod in the back of my pickup or will I need to rent a trailer?:confused: This may seem like a stupid question for most, but as I've never even seen unlaid sod, it is a relevant one.

TIA to those who laugh but answer anyway.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

How many tons is your p/up?

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Generally, a pallet of sod weighs a ton. In wet weather, think more than that.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Can't put a pallet on most half ton truck without them going down a lot. We haul it on a 3/4 ton usually. And a trailer without brakes with two pallets is pretty risky going down the road. Why not have them deliver?

5. A72CUTLAS

As this is just a simple 1/2 ton truck, probably without the HD trailering package, I'm going to have to have them deliver it. I decided on the sod over plugs and seed because it would be impossible to keep the neighborhood kids off of it until it either germinates or spreads, even though it is the most expensive option. And it's getting more so when adding delivery. I'm afraid to call for the cost!!! :dizzy: :cry: :dizzy:

Oh well... if you want a good lawn you've got to pay the price, both in sweat :weightlifter: and $$$ payup !

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Just be sure all your prep work is done right. That is #1- preparation of the soil for the sod.

7. A72CUTLAS

Here's what I've done thus far...

I scalped the grass and sprayed it thoroughly with Round-Up. After 1 week it started to look a little "sick". After 2 it was completely brown. Then we got almost 2 solid weeks of rain, which has just let up, BTW. Now I'm starting to see a few sprigs of green pop up again(they say Bermuda is the hardest grass to kill). So I'm going to hit it again with the RU and hope for dry weather.

Since I have an in-ground irrigation system, I can't till it up like I should because I don't know where the pipes are, so my plan is to just tear up the surface with a rake, remove the debris, then put down a "sugar-coat" of topsoil, about 1/4" or so.

Does this sound OK? If not, is there something else I should be doing instead? Thank you for your help.

8. DiyDave

You should be using a sodcutter to remove the (now) dead sod. Sod won't grow on top of old , dead sod, dried up weeds etc. Sod needs contact with bare earth. Set your sprinkler system to demonstrate mode, when the heads come up, mark them with a flag, paint, stick, whatever. You'll have to dig the old sod away from them with a sharp shovel or spade.

9. A72CUTLAS

Thanks for that reply, DiyDave. That just saved me $500 plus delivery! I seriously thought I was on track.

Now RE: sodcutters... I'm assuming this is something I could rent from the local sod farm? Also, how deep do I need to go? Are we talking just skimming the old(dead) growth off the top, or do I need to get the roots?

I ask because I don't know where the piping to the sprinkler is nor how deep they are laid. Is there a universal depth that's used?:confused: The pop-ups I know about and already have marked. And I'm assuming again that I don't need to call the utilities to get their stuff marked?

I apologize for all the questions, but this is not only my first sod lay, but my first major lawn repair, first sprinkler system, etc... I know most will say just hire somebody to do it for you, but where is the fun/satisfaction in that?

(rant start)
    I bought a computer from a store 10yrs ago, and over the years have rebuilt/upgraded it numerous times. Now I'd put one of my self-built machines up against any Dell, Gateway you could buy. That's what DIY is all about!!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:
    (rant end)

But seriously... Thanks for all the help you guys/gals give us newbies on this site. I can tell you I really appreciate it.

10. DiyDave

Do a google search for turfco direct, look up the kisscutter, nice little unit, check the rental yards in your area. Here's a thought- if you have a Home Cheapo in your area, check to see if they rent sodcutters, some do. While you are there, rent the 3/4 ton flatbed truck to haul the sodcutter home (ostensibly). Then use the truck to haul your sod home, and the cutter back to Home Cheapo, when you are done. This job (2 pallets) should take a man and helper about a day. If it's a husband/wife team, figure on a weekend. Oh, in answer to your sprinkler Question, there really is no set depth for the supply piping, most pro-installed systems generally 6-8". If the previous owner installed himself, There's no telling!:laugh: