first solo walkway

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MAC LLC, Jul 2, 2008.

1. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

first time posting pics so hope it works...

this is my first solo walkway, i have worked for a landscape contractor for 4 years while in college, and I started my own business this spring. I do mostly mowing/ maintenance but built this for my parents house.

Being on my own I did not have bobcat, excavator, grading bucket, transit, or any other fun tools

I used Rinox Riberea Milton Grey, used 8in of 3/4 crushed base gravel, 1in concrete sand, and grey Techni Seal polymer sand. I still need to use a efflorescence cleaner on the pavers and install sod

please critique, i know there are a few things that could have been cut cleaner, but i think it came out good for my first solo job

exc1.jpg

exc2.jpg

base.jpg

old.jpg

walk1.jpg

2. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

more pics...

walk2.jpg

walk3.jpg

walk4.jpg

walk5.jpg

walk6.jpg

3. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

forgot to add that i plan on facing the sides of the steps with pavers and cutting 6 X 1 X 1in thick bluestone on tops of the steps.

also there is about 1/4 inch of pitch per 4 feet (empire string level & string angle finder)

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good to me
    mike

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I like the block. Next time you should go wider with your base. Usually go outside the same distance as your depth. This will prevent movement when you drive over it every week with you ZTR.

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good. Next time get yourself some 2' grade stakes and string line holders from Pavetech. Better than the wooden stakes.

7. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Grade stakes work much better. Even better idea would be, take some of that money you just made, and buy a transit.

Good work on the walk.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Good Job. Looks very nice. Your parents should be very pleased.

9. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice job, looks great. Nice choice on the color.

10. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

thanks for the compliments, yea those "stakes" i used were a joke, home cheapo...

grading stakes are wood? or are they different. Im going to check out Pavetech. Mowing lawns today was depressing compaired to hardscaping...