First sprayer...what should it be?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Sep 22, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

After recently getting my applicator's license, I have locked down several fertilization accounts. Most of my work will be granular products with an occasional spot spray.

However there will be situations where the entire lawn will need spraying. Right now, I have to sub that out to another company to fill the gap. I'm very apprehensive about investing a large amount of money in equipment that may not be used frequently.

Most of my properties are 10,000 sq feet or less. What would be a good sprayer to start with? I'm assuming a skid sprayer would be the way to go. I own a smaller pickup so weight would be a consideration.

I'm sure some of you have been in this position before.

2. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Lesco 50 gal sprayer. It also makes a good place to fill up pack pack from for spot spraying.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I can get a 35 gallon skid sprayer with a Briggs engine for $250. Even though it is a small tank, that appears to be a great deal. It has 300' hose. All I would have to do is purchase a good spray gun.

50 gallons would be better but at that price it might be worth the inconvenience.

4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out a Pro Lawn Shielded Sprayer. Its a 3 wheeled cart you push like a mower. Also has a tow bar for those big jobs. Low volume 4 foot pattern. Very happy with ours. Around $ 1,400 for one with all the options.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Are you in this for the long run? If so a 35 or 50 Gal. sprayer will probably prove inadequate over time. Suck it up and get a 100-200 gal. Lesco sprayer or equivalent. As your business grows you will appreciate the increased capacity and the tax write offs of your equipment purchases. Does the unit you mentioned have an electric hose reel? You will hate 300 ft. with a hand crank reel.

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm, occasional spot spray? why get a skid at all if you describe your need as occasional? most likely a backpack will do what you need for spot spraying, and for the blanket aps you can suck it up with the bp or sub it. all the while stashing away funds so that when you NEED a skid you can go purchase one.

7. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Upon recieving good advise through Lawnsite I have begun quite well with a backpack. Now today I was spraying for a reno which ment broadcasting over 2000 square feet. (not so bad) You can get a split boom for backpacks that make broadcasting the odd lawn fesable. I agree with last post. Unless you get swamped overnight you can get started with a back pack (although the price you quoted for the tank seems great)

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I knew I was in this for the long haul, so I saved myself the aggrevation of subing stuff out and bought a Lesco 200 gallon sprayer, Shindiawa backpack sprayer and a Lesco rotary (broadcast) spreader.....No regrets!!

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I started with a 50 gal skid. Great at first but then it got annoying having to refill all the time. That is until I got the PG now I fill the 50 with water for the PG and it lasts all day. I would pick up the 35 gal for the money if it is good shape I got my 50 for $300. Upgrade as your business grows. I know I couldn't afford a $1600 or more machine at the start.....

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

turf hokie-

That is the boat that I am in. Thats why I am starting small with:
    2 SP0 bp sprayers
    1 Earthway Commercial spreader for seed
    1 Lesco SS Spreader for granular apps

I have been talking to several small lawn companys and none of them can spray so I am working out work referral programs with them. My goal is 30 accounts by the end of next season. It will be nice starting with my head above water...learned my lesson the hard way with mowing!