First Spring Clean Up Done!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jjvvdd, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jjvvdd

jjvvdd LawnSite Member
    from kansas

I had 25; 55 gallon bags of leaves and sticks. It took me and my lady about 6 hours. I charged $150.00 and he threw in a $20.00 tip. The dump fee was $15.00 though. I wish I had one of those huge vacs like I saw on the back of this trailer. I guess they blow all the leaves to it then it sucks em to the back of the truck. Maybe someday. It was good to complete a job though. I hope everyone is busier than I am. It is early yet I guess.

Dodson Lawncare
    1998 Ford
    Echo chain saw,hedge clippers
    Toro Trimmer, Edger
    Weed Eat Featherlite Blower
    Toro 21" Commercial Mower

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We still have over a foot of snow on the ground. It will be a while before we can get started. :angry:

3. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

Not trying to be critical......BUT.......you and your "Lady" just worked six hours each for $12.917 per hour: 6 hours each x 2 people = 12 man hours.

$155.00 dollars (150.00 + 20.00 tip - 15.00 dump fee = $155.00) divided by 12 man hours total = $12.917 per hour per person. This does not count gas to and from job, dump and home.

If you can survive on this more power to you........ :cool:

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

agreed.... I'm not in your shoes and I don't live where you do, but I'm not sure how after expenses (insurance, gas, taxes, equipment etc..) that you really made any money. With 2 full time guys we try to bring in ATLEAST between $800-$1000 dollars a day in cleanups.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I read this and said to myself...SCRUB! Are you serious $150 for 6 hours of work! If you ever want to be taken seriously in the business as a professional...get a clue!

6. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

I was not implying that jjvvdd was a scrub, just pointing out the possibly not obvious impact of the numbers. Any "newbie" here needs to become extremely intimate with the numbers of their business.

No offense meant here jjvvdd, I am not trying to single you out. But if you hope to make an honest run at this as a business, you MUST KNOW YOUR NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I was. Start with his billed amount including tip= $155.

subtract expenses:
    Dumping fee $15,
    25 bags @$1.70=$42.5,
    workers comp($16/100)=$24.80,
    Payroll Tax = $33.44,
    Gas ? guess but lets assume you were in town = $4.35
    Insurance=$4.69
    Rent /utilities/phone/advertising/depreciation/other expenses(17%)=$40.3

Net guessed profit = -$10.08 Yup thats a negative

Yes you and the Mrs. went out and worked 6 hours and it would have been cheaper for you to just give Joe Homeowner $10 and said thank you.

Is he a scrub? yes. clearly he is not paying payroll taxes, insurance, workers comp, or any other expenses normally associated with running a real company.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't be bragging about giving away my work as you did and the others have already pointed out. That was at least even in Nowhere, USA a $300 job. I would have gotten $450-$650 for it here based on what you said cause 25 55 gallon bags is a lot of debis. I'm sure the guy was laughing his azz off inside and felt so guilty he gave you the $20 "tip"

I know you are brand new in business, so I hope you learned a lesson on this one....esp since you were giving advice to another newbie on here today yourself where you told him to go to Home Cheapo and get himself a Toro 21" Mower for $600 (I hope that isn't what you have and have listed as "commercial" cause if it is it ain't. First, Home Cheapo doesn't sell Commercial mowers of any kind they sell homeowner junk, next reason is the Commercial Toro is $1200 and I know cause I have several of them for trim mowers). Spend a lot of time searching and reading on here as there is a wealth of information so that you don't mess up again and think you did real good.

Also please tell me that you do have your Business License, Business Ins and insurance on your "lady" worker and the first chance you get unload that homeowner equiopment you got and get some good commercial stuff as it will do you a much better job. I also would be quite so quick to list homeowner equipment under my name it doesn't make you look like a professional on here it makes you look REAL bad on your part

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya. Me too.
    I think its going to be awhile before we start around this area.

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I live in Kansas too, I know it's not THAT cheap to live here! Oops, I ssume that job was bid at $150 not knowing it was going to take 6 hours??? Not to mention the bags that aren't cheap, and everything else that everyone posted... Man, what fun to post and have a dozen guys bust your n**s!