1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First Spring cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MBS Landscaping, Mar 27, 2007.

1. MBS Landscaping

MBS Landscaping LawnSite Member

First spring cleanup and first pissed off customer. I just got off the phone with a contract customer of mine I've had for about 2 years now this will be the third season. Over the winter I sent out a mailing to all my customers stating that if they did not clean up after their pets all winter that during their initial cleanup or first cut they would have to incur labor charges for cleaning off the equipment well today i was cleaning dog crap off my equipment and shoes and my laborers were also cleaning for about 1hr to 75 minuets. which added $90 to the bill. My Initial mailing stated this was for the offenders not the one or two missed piles in the yard. The customer has stated that he is being treated unfairly and doesn't want to pay however in our contract he just signed before the cleanup it also states he will be responsible for the excessive cleaning of eq. due to pets. last year I figure i paid my employees only 2 besides my self an average of 5 extra hours a week to clean up crap that I'm not getting any income for. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? next year I'll probably just raise my hourly rate to compensate for it
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Car washes must cost a lot in Maine....usually around $5 here.
  3. MBS Landscaping

Works not getting done if the equipment is getting cleaned It's costing me money and like i said it's not just a pile or 2 i don't think he cleaned a pile since i did his fall cleanup
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you....

I cant tell you how many times I've had to deal with that...

And I didn't kno how to deal with it..

having to smell it all day. it gets in the truck. it gets everywhere.

My hat's off to you...:drinkup: :clapping:
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i add a cleaning charge, (in your case per man) and strickly apply it...(anyone can miss a pile, but its obvious if they are not even trying to pick it up, that is just taking advantage of the lawn guy and i think it is exceptionally rude....

stand your ground......:usflag:
  6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

It would be much easier to get rid of the client, just give them an ultimatum, either keep the yard clean or find yourself another LCO.

If the client can't keep their yard clean I personally want nothing to do with them, it's actually dis-respectful to the LCO and you shouldn't have to put up with it.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sorry but 75 minutes to clean off your equipment is ridiculous. I mean were you actually rolling around in the crap??? I don't think I've spent 75 minutes combined over the past 15 years cleaning dog crap off equipment.

As bad as it can get...I just hose my boots off after a bad lawn. Move on to the next.
  8. MBS Landscaping

60 - 75 minuets = 2 guys not working for 30 minuets each while driving the eq to the carwash and back, plus the time we all spent cleaning the eq and our boots also the waste of my time and my employees time because the homeowner is too lazy

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I never really thought of this. Just sounds stupid. If i step in Dog **** i hose my boots off . I dunno i guess some people care more than others
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly if a lawn is THAT bad with dog crap that you would want to take the equipment to a carwash, I wouldn't even set foot on it until the customer did some major cleaning.

As unpleasant as it is, dog crap is something you just have to put up with to do this line of work. I'm not a big fan of all these surcharges for cleaning, picking up toys, etc. I just call the customer directly and explain the problem, and what needs to be done to fix it.

I have to ask...what sort of equipment did you take thru the carwash??? :laugh: Employees must have gotten a nice bath themselves...:laugh: