1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First straight shaft trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave G, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Dave G

Dave G LawnSite Member

Bought my first straight shaft trimmer today. Not sure how well I'm going to like it. I've never used on until today.

Anyone ever went straight and then back to bent?
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I used a bent shaft on one house then it went in the garbage. Strait shaft is the only way to go if you wont to save your back.
  3. Dave G

Dave G LawnSite Member

I used the new trimmer for the first time yesterday. Edging around the sidewalks and curbs went much faster. I think I'll like it with a little more parctice.

I read on in another thread about how someone thinks grass gets trained to which kind of trimmer you use. I thought that was funny when I read it. Now that I have switched I see what he was talking about. At least with bermuda.:eek:
  4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

what did you get?
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You can get used to anything. I had a time adjusting to a straight shaft too. It's like second nature now and so much easier on my back. Here's a HOSS of a trimmer....

lawn equip to post 003.jpg
  6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

You're right about that Robin - and less than 10 lbs, too! Their BH2500 is the lightest (11.6) commercial 4-cycle I'm aware of. If parts were more readily available they'd outsell all the other brands combined. Have you ever tried to see what it can do with the standard sawblade? Anyone out there happen to recall which Robin model is compatible with an Edgit attachment?
  7. Dave G

Dave G LawnSite Member

I got the echo 260s
  8. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

After about a week of using your new trimmer, you will never even dream of using a bent shaft again.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I got the sawblade too. It powers through almost anything. Love it.
  10. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I guess I'm just different. Eventhough I have an Stihl FS85 straight shaft, I bought 2 new FS75 curved shafts this spring. The curved shafts just seem more maneuverable to me. I know they have a flex shaft instead of solid and therefore won't last as long. But I still prefer them anyway.