first stuck ztr this year.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by odin, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Thursday i was mowing a lot for a church ....i a was alone takeing care of the vacont lot they have acoss the street....ive been on this hill a thousand times ....its fairly steep but not radically steep ....this moron came walking by with one of them big radio's on his shoulder ..that rapp garbage surprised me and i moved one of the steering handles the wrong way and went right in a pool of guck...this pool is there all the time ..doesnt get dry or hot enough for it it dry up ..think it some kind of drainage or something rope or come a long with me ......the tires buried up to the axle.....i got off and i said .....machine guess im have gonna push your ass out of there in guck turned off the dump values and pushed that sucker out to dry ground ... i only had to push to 5 or 6 feet ...but 1200 lbs was a chore to push out of that muck.....funny thing its been dry last couple weeks ...i wouldnt have thought in a million years my first stuck ztr would have happen now ...back in the spring i wouldnt have been surprised.
  2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

got hustler stuck in ditch the other week. Had my employee there and we muscled it. It sux when its beside of a road. lol.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Only stuck once? Consinder yourself lucky! My GH has been stuck at least 7 times and the Gravely 3 times.
  4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Last week I was mowing parallel on a ditch bank about 1.5 days after a deluge. Just hit a softer spot & she slid sideways down in there. Not a big ditch but steep. Normally I have no trouble mowing it & on that day it "looked" fine, no standing water. Plus, I cut two other properties with ditches that day & no troubles. Anyway.....I got it wedged in there so badly I couldn't dig, push or pull it out. The more I dug the higher the ground water rose. Finally had to call a wrecker to come pull it out. The guys at the garage will not soon let me forget that one.

The story has it's good side though - the gal at the house next door to my client (when I first arrived, before I got stuck) asked me to mow their lot too. I just weed whacked at their place until the wrecker arrived = only about 15 min. down time while I tried to dig it out.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain man, I got our church's Landpride stuck in a drainage ditch last Saturday.. It sure ain't fun draggin' a 900+lb machine out by yourself..Thankfully, I can hop off and walk behind my Surfer when it looks like I might get stuck.. That ability has saved my Butt more than once..:D
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

The one I burried was my 675 lb. or whatever w/b. I've gotten it out of some trouble before but there was just no way to get her out of this one. Not unless I could clean & jerk that thing and walk out of the ditch with it above my shoulders!! Thankfully, the garage I use was only about 1 mi. away. I just drove over there & asked for the help face to face to get it done quick & also get my eyes off the stuck mower.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I done a silly thing other week, crossed a ditch and the z bottomed out on the skid plate.
    I didnt have a tow strap or anything with me, had to come home and get a chain and hook it to the trailer and drag it out.
  8. Lodi Lawn

Lodi Lawn LawnSite Member

grass_cutting_fool - Every now and then we get one of our 60" Lazers stuck when crossing a ditch. We used to pull them out with another machine but found that if you grab one of the caster wheels with both hands and pull the machine so that it is at a angle to the ditch it will usually drive right out. It does not have to be very much of an angle.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

No stuck with the Z, YET , but I put a Billy Goat brush hog in a ditch Sat while cutting around the fence of our HOA boat lot. 5 foot tall weeds so didn't know the ditch was there. Had to hook come-a-long (always in the trailer) to the fence to pull out. Big problem was the 1/2 mile hike back to the truck.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Wish I could have seen that. Dude with a boombox and all he sees is Odin sliding down the slope after him.