First stump grinding experience

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by Bwing96, May 19, 2014.

1. Bwing96

Bwing96 LawnSite Member

I rented a Vermeer SC 252 thinking it wouldn't take me long to do the few I had, boy was I wrong. I had 3 Bradford Pear stumps that were cut as low as I could get them. One was 24" and 2 were 18". The 2 that were 18" weren't too bad. I think I ground both of them and 1 old half rotten stump that was about 6" all I about 2 hrs. The biggest 24" stump took me 4 hrs. The motor never seemed to lug down but if you tried to take very much of a bite at all it wouldn't swing in the direction of cut. You would be lucky to cut 1/8" at a time. Sometimes it would make large shavings when cutting good but most of the time it made fine shavings or saw dust, smaller than a chainsaw would produce. I accused them of sending it out with dull teeth but they claimed they were new, which I doubt. Are the Bradford pears just tat hard too grind or is the 252 just a real POS?

2. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

The teeth are made to be blunt. The harder the wood the better it cuts. In soft wood it is more of a sponge and it doesent like to cut it. Pines are a royal pita with it.
    Posted via Mobile Device