First stump grinding took forever...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Feb 25, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to eventually get into tree removal and stump grinding so last week,just to get some experience,I rented a Vermeer sc252 and removed a couple of stumps for a neighbor.One was very small,rotten and no problem.The other,which was probably 2 ft. in diameter and 8-10 inches above ground,took 1 hr. and 45 mins.It wasn't at all difficult or tiring,just took a long time and I was wondering what I did wrong.
    I'm sure that cutting it level with the ground with a chainsaw would have speeded things up but I don't have one big enough to do that.Also,the job produced so much saw dust I had to stop several times to remove it.The stump grinder appeared to have alot of miles on it but seemed to work OK.I had to go veeerrry slowly,though.I cut the stump about 6 in. below the gound.
    How long should a job like this NORMALLY take with this particular machine?Even though I lost money I don't regret doing it because I needed the experience.Plus,the customer was happy.Thanks.

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

thats why i sold mine SLOW it workes great in small stumps and shrubs but for the big ones u need a big stump grinder
    now i sub it out and still make money

3. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

sub out your stumps, my guy would so a stump like that for about $65.00 and it would only take him 15 min with a stump that size ( big machine )youll always have alot of stump grindings.

4. could have been type of tree but 24" stump taking that amount of time I would suspect dull teeth. If you're thinking of buying, demo a Vermeer from the dealer, you have a much better chance of getting a grinder that is ready to work.

5. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah,I'd like to cut the same stump with a new machine that has sharp teeth.RentX probably does the absolute minimum maintenance on their machines.

6. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I have a Rayco 1665 and when the teeth get dull it will grind very slow. But I agree with the rest of the guys just sub out your stump grinding, I grind for about 5 other LCO who do tree work, the benefit of this is they give me the tree work that is too big for them.And I don't grind a stump for less than $75.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Same here - sub it out. Have a guy around here that charges $50 if he can get to it with his tow behind unit, more if he has to walk a machine into a back yard. Can't beat that price!

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Interesting article in the latest issue of Tree Care Industry magazine on stump grinding.

www.natlarb.com

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Even if you have to cut it horizontally and then cut it vertically to remove a block of the stump. it will save you a LOT of time. you don't need a big saw to do that.