First time, critique appreciated. *PICS

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by viet_jon, Aug 9, 2008.

1. viet_jon

viet_jon LawnSite Member
    from ontario

All Permacon products

Celtik Wall
    Celtik Steps
    Bergerac Pavers

Took us about a week to get this far. Tomorrow if it doesn't rain, we're renting a concrete saw with diamond blade to cut pavers. Once all pavers are in, we'll compact.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any suggestions on how to do the stairs? We are planning to place the stairs on the long side of the smaller deck.

Then once that is done, we're putting 5 pillars on the large deck, and three on the small. Haven't decided on the fencing from pillar to pillar yet, any suggestions? I don't like normal steel bar fencing, rather I'm looking to add those wood privacy type of panels ( What are those things called? ), but don't know where to buy them.

Then we're doing the same pavers as a walkway from the front of the house leading to the stairs. Then steel fencing around our property.

Again, any suggestions\comments\criticism is appreciated. I know the job isn't perfect, but the only way I learn is by making mistakes.

Cheers!!!

2. viet_jon

viet_jon LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Discovered two major flaws last night:

1) the large deck isn't a perfect square! :wall..... The width along the house is smaller than the other width by 2.5 inches

2) we messed up the screeding of the small deck. With the pavers in, the middle is a little bit raised compared to the edges to the wall.

3. scenicexcellence

scenicexcellence LawnSite Member

It looks good One thing i would suggest is to have the paver a bit higher then they are because once you compact they will settle down and be below the top of the cap.

Think you should use some sort of natural stone for steps. Or rosetta stone precast natural look.

Also did you glue all those caps? if not you might want to do that because of people standing there will knock them off.

Looks great though.

4. viet_jon

viet_jon LawnSite Member
    from ontario

yup, caps glued already.

We bought the stones for the steps already...... I was looking more for suggestions on how to lay them, things I should watch out or/be aware of etc.

Possibly pictures don't do the justice?
    We're installing primarily using the Permacon install manual, and it says; 1 inch of screening will compact 3/8 an inch....and that's the height of the pavers we have sitting over the caps... Will it compact more?

5. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

With your comment and by the looks of the homes, you may be close to me. Y rent a saw when I have one for sale??? CHEAP and only used 3 times...... PM me if you can.

I am in Thornhill

6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I'm far from a seasoned hardscaper but I'll still chime in:

Wouldn't it be easier (not to mention look better) to make those cuts w/a wet saw w/diamond blade than an AP saw?

7. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Not to familiar with the Belgard pavers but, I don't think you should have to make any field cuts if you lay your "random" pattern correctly. Not a major deal, but something to consider for next time.

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I would of....

Built the columns at the same time as the patio, and had them integrate rather than having them sit on top of the patio.
    Watch your bond lines, some look a bit long and should be broken up and also looks like you may want to run a string and make sure they are straight.
    Should always have brick starting from the same place even with a raised patio those lines should match. (I think you tried to do that)
    With mega bergerac you may have to remove the edge pieces because there is only 3/8" of screed between bottom of brick and celtik block, it may not compact flush. Those half pieces are a pita, the more you have the harder it will always be to keep lines running straight. I don't bother with them anymore, we just lay the brick and make it work with out the half stones.
    Building a step would be easy to do after, just decide where you want it to go and start from ground up obviously. Would a semicircular step work with your plan. I wouldn't do the whole lenght just a section in the middle and maybe have the railing come up to the edges.
    I can't tell which way your slope is running but typically I would crown the middle of the patios and have the water run off in all directions, except towards the house.

Looks good if its your first project.

9. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

Aside from whats been mentioned, the only thing that jumps out to me is a lot of 2x2 cuts for a random pattern. I think if you played with the configurationa little you could minimize those small pieces.

You'll definately want to do something with the low spot near the house. Pull them up and add some more sand if need be. Otherwise you'll have standing water and regrets.

Otherwise looks prety good from this angle.

10. viet_jon

viet_jon LawnSite Member
    from ontario

Liquidfast:
    thankx for the offer, but it'll probably be more easier if we just rented.

CALandscapes
    That's what we're planning to get, a wet saw with diamond blade.

JImmystew:
    We should have layed out a better plan, I agree. Even the Celtik walls, if we had planned the deck by 2 foot increments, it would have saved us time cutting blocks.

Zeo:
    Tried our best to keep paver lines straight, but tis was impossible because we screwed up the wall caps; they don't line up 100% straight, therefore throwing off the pavers.
    What (if there are any), long term repurcussions if the lines don't run straight, weaken interlock?
    The slope of the pavers on the small deck is actually higher towards the house, so I should be good with water buildup.

Perficut:
    Will keep that in mind for the walkway pavers, thankx.