First time edging of large area?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron's Lawn Care, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Aaron's Lawn Care

Aaron's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I need to edge about a half mile of sidewalk (both sides of sidewalk and curb along road), what would be the best way to do this? Should I do it my normal way of using my stick edger or possibly rent a walk behind edger? Keep in mind this area hasn't been edged in over 10 years.

Oh, and how much would you guys charge for a job like this? I've been doing this for a while but I've never done a first time edging of an area this large.

2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

$3168 minimum

3. Aaron's Lawn Care

Can I get a little bit more info? Like how you came up with that price, as well as my other questions that I asked in my original post?

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They won't pay it.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

hahahaha noooo way are you going to get that rate, sadly thats how much i would charge.

you would have get at least 2 guys with walk behind edgers on that job

Just my .02

6. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Stick edger w/new blade (and some in your pocket), spade shovel, coal shovel, and a wheelbarrow.

Stick edge where possible, spade shovel thick areas, scrape up with coal shovel into wheelbarrow. W/B edger might not work on curb area. I've also used trim to remove turf in parts to loosen up. 5 man hours max.

$320 - $520 on just how overgrown, condition of walk and curb, and how much you want it or like them.

7. Aaron's Lawn Care

Thanks for some good info. This sounds about what I had in mind. I was thinking around $500. I'll have someone else to do the shoveling for me. I'm going to have him shovel it right into the back of the truck.

8. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

$.40 per foot is how i got that

9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I also agree on that plan as well. Curbing is almost imposiable with walk behind edger it will work great with the walkways though.

10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Not if you get a drop down wheel...