First time for everything.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Apr 16, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just opened my mail and found a statement from my bank about a customer that bounced a check to me. Its going to be sent through a second time this week to see if it clears.

If it goes through great. If not what do most of you guys do? Its only a $35.00 check and Ill get it sooner or later. It was probably just a mistake, the guy has never had problems before so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Any thoughts?

2. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

My bank charges a service fee which is passed on to the customer to pay and I usually charge a service fee of my own to cover my inconvienance(redeposit,phone call,re bill,and not to mention recalculating my check book). They usually understand it wasn't your fault it bounced and that it was their fault.They have balls if they question the fees.

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

They ( my bank) have charged me 2 bucks already. If it doesnt go through again ill be tacking a $25.00 charge on.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

WOW, $2 bucks is a deal. Mine charges me $7. I charge the client $25 for the PITA it causes me in QuickBOoks. Suggestion: Before submitting to YOUR BANK, call THEIR BANK to see if it will clear. If they say YES, RUN to your bank. If they say NO, RUN to the CLIENT and tell them you want CASH!

Mike

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Yeah 2 bucks, good deal! I would call their bank to see if it will clear first.
    After that is taken care of I would only accept cash from there on out. It may offend them but I don't run a charity lawn service and I don't want to mow for free!!! :realmad:

6. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

we charge 15.00 for bounced check fee.......

our bank charges us $0.00....

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets see - first threaten to beat them to a pulp w/ a shovel, then have them drive you to the police station and finally take them to court for theft of services ... did I leave anything out?? Oh yeah, you can do a midnight dump run of your debris on their front lawn.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

or, you can lose 20 of your teeth, marry your first cousin, and move to south jersey, where you can sell stone for $50 a ton, and grow to the size of a giraffe

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Most if not all banks have a merchant check verification service. Sometimes it's automated, sometimes you actually speak with a bank rep. I always call to verify funds first if its a large check, don't want to start bouncing your own checks...

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i had that one time. the girl was really embarrassed, and i felt bad for her. she was one of my customers i'd had a while, and always paid. i don't remember the details of the transaction, but if there where any minute fees, she paid them. sometimes people just have a bad week. i maybe would have approached the situation differently if it were another customer, or new customer. depends on their track record.
    see if it clears the second time, and if not imediately call. i would say something along the lines of, " i think there may have been a problem with your account.." they are going to be embarrassed, so if its a good customer of yours use your head.