First time hiring a crew

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mortymower, May 11, 2005.

1. Mortymower

Mortymower LawnSite Member

Hey, here is my plan, please criticize. I have about 15 yards right now, i can drive this summer and i plan to get a little more than i can handle byt this time next year. Then go out to a local golf course and ask all turf employees if they want to make a little extra money. interview and pick one that i like to work with me all summer, PART TIME so no benefits yet. at the end of the summer turn him loose after i trust him and let him work on his own part time still. He will have to have his own truck, and he will pull my trailer, which i will carry ins on. I will then go imediately into advertising and getting more work for him and when i get enough i will hire another part time guy. After my buisness gets big enough to were i can have two-three full time employees i will ask them to come full time and offer benefits, and half of their health insurance. And pray to god that it works :angel: Tell me what ya;ll think of this idea please.

2. thomas860

thomas860 LawnSite Member
    from ct

Your only 14 and you want hire guys to work for you. When they find out your 14 they are just going to luagh at you. Stick with what you got for now and worry more about school then doing lawns.

3. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!! Only 14 and in business for 5 years??? You're doing great kiddo!! Keep up the good work!!! :rolleyes:

4. Mortymower

Well i joined a while back so im fifteen now, but here is my argument to Thomas860, there are plenty of kids out there now whos daddy buys them the best truck/trailer and exmark that money can buy. Now sure they will probably make a wad of cash if they have ANY work ethic. Now my dad was afraid of me using a push mower at a early age so i bought an elctric weed eater when i was nine and used it to cut two yards on my street and used our push mower oncce i could push it. From there i bought a peice of crap murry rear engin rider used with my eranings, then to a john deere hydro 185 1992 model and finally my current rig is an exmark lazer zhp, redmax trimmer and blower and honda push mower. I paid for every peice of it. like i said befor there are plenty of kids out there now doin it with daddy's equipment and sayin they are making money, but how many teenagers do you know of that have people working for them. I can only grow so much befor school interferes, but with a crew i can contiinue to grow. This is a very optomistic plan but i am determined to make it owrk and i would appreciate it if you would either say something that may make this plan better otherwise shut the hell up. :help: I dont mean to offend anyone, but i have been workin on this little plan for a little while and i dont like being shot down when i am just asking for sugesstions

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Morty, I admire your ambition, but one of the comments by Thomas860 is pretty much on the money. Getting older guys to work for you and provide the truck is kind of a stretch. Not saying it can't be done, but for better or worse, they will not respect you and you cannot have that.

I also would not turn an employee loose and trust him under these same circumstances. My recommendation is that you figure out another business plan until you can snag a driver's license. I also wonder whether an insurance company will sell you liability insurance at your age.

I admire your gumption. Fair or not, your age works against you. Being ahead of your age in terms of maturity is a lousy place to be at times, but it'll pass. In the meantime, maybe you could focus on developing skills that'll allow you to sell more to your existing client base.

6. Mortymower

Thanks mark, see thomas at least he offers sugesstions how i can fix the problems i will run into, but i forgot to say, i will start this plan next year so i will have a liscence for almost a year and the employee will ride with me for the summer, (with me driving in my truck) i dont know if that changes anything but i jusy wanted to put that out there

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

Hey you said please criticize so dont jump on him you asked for it

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Problem with your plan is though that you can't legally employee anyone until you are at least 18 years of age.

9. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

I can see how you want to run guys from a golf course, but, i reccomend using people closer to your age. I have a few helpers who I got from school. I think its easier to boss around someone closer to your age, while someone who is older will think they are the boss and know more than you. I would rather train somebody on how to do it right, rather than get someone who thinks they know it all and does a crappy job. I would also be very weary of your guys using their own truck. Thats just my opinion. :waving:

10. Mortymower

sorry i dont mean to jump on anyone, which im sure i did, but i was just saying criticize but tell what i am doin wrong, not just you cant do it so dont try.