Lawn Care Forum banner

First time I've had a check bounce on me!!!

7K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  zachj265 
#1 ·
So I picked up a new customer the other day that seemed pretty promising. He had just bought a house in Kansas City and the yard was in really bad shape. The guy went on and on about how he wanted a complete renovation next year and he needs a full time lawn service provider. I'm thinking, "hell yeah!". I'm only in my 3rd month of business and I need all the business I can get! He had a blank canvas to work with and I saw a lot of potential for business with the guy. I go over there for a leaf cleanup, was there for 2 hours, and charged him $120.00. He wrote me a check and I was on my way. So I'm sitting down at my desk today and literally JUST got done signing his Holiday Greetings card when my wife called to inform me that his check had bounced. Now like I said, I'm new here and DO NOT have a ton of money in my business account, so it made my account go negative because I had just an hour before that, went and bought a half pallet of ice melt for this winter.

I go to call the guy and what do you know, his cricket cell phone is no longer in service. The guy practically lives in the ghetto and I don't know how I feel going and knocking on his door about this. I always stay out of areas like that for obvious reasons but was just kind of making an exception this one time.

Should I just live and learn or bug this guy till he pays up? I understand it could be a big misunderstanding and maybe he'd gladly fork over the money, but then again, seeing the people coming in and out of his house when I was there, and a little bit of racial profiling, I'm a bit nervous on doing that.

What do you think?!?!:confused:

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd assume that he just messed up until I knew better. Bring a friend (witness) if it makes you feel better. Be sure to recover whatever your bank charged you as their returned check fee. Writing a bad check is a crime but good luck getting the cops to do anything about it.

#9 ·
One time service that you don't feel right about doing get paid up front if you can or don't do it. I had to tell someone no this summer for a mowing account just because where she lived. I'm not parking my stuff where I can't take my eyes off of it because it will be gone. PS I hate asking for payment up front because it makes you look unprofessional but I hate getting stiffed more.

#11 ·
Had one write me a hot check a few years ago. Tried and tried to contact her. No answer. Called the sheriff. He said to to send her a certified letter with instructions that if she did not pay up the po-po would be paying her a visit. He informed me that if she did not pay in 10 days from the date of the letter to bring him the check and a copy of the letter along with where she signed for the letter and he would get me my money. Wouldn't you know, about three days later, I got a money order in the mail....

#12 ·
Looks like I'm going to have to take some action. I have text messaged him twice and called 3 times today once leaving a message, and have got no response. the bank said they would be sending me something in the mail so I might just wait for that to go over there.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
Looks like I'm going to have to take some action. I have text messaged him twice and called 3 times today once leaving a message, and have got no response. the bank said they would be sending me something in the mail so I might just wait for that to go over there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bank should send you back a copy of the check.....you're not going to hear from him...

#16 ·
Maybe I'll go dump some leaves from my massive compost pile onto his front porch. Nah, that'd be a waste.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a good thing about doing leaf jobs. You don't pay I'll just give them back X2!!:laugh:

#17 ·
just wanted to give an update. The gentleman called me today explained to me that his wife left him and the kids and took all of his money. he says that's why his cell phone got shut off his light bill didn't get paid and of course the lawn guy does not get paid either. since it's the holiday season I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He says he gets paid on the 1st and the 3rd so hell give me the money then. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
just wanted to give an update. The gentleman called me today explained to me that his wife left him and the kids and took all of his money. he says that's why his cell phone got shut off his light bill didn't get paid and of course the lawn guy does not get paid either. since it's the holiday season I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He says he gets paid on the 1st and the 3rd so hell give me the money then. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
Posted via Mobile Device
Who gets paid on the first and third of a month? So now he wants you to wait until January? Lawn service is a luxury. If you have to budget for it, you can't afford it. I get the "I'm a single mom" crap all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
Who gets paid on the first and third of a month? So now he wants you to wait until January? Lawn service is a luxury. If you have to budget for it, you can't afford it. I get the "I'm a single mom" crap all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Response for the single mom line:

It sounds like you need to choose your sex partners more carefully.

Responses for the "I'm retired and on a fixed income" line:

1) That's great! Do you think you could fix mine for me?
2) I'm sorry, but your lack of retirement planning is not my problem. I need to charge enough to avoid making the same mistake you did.

#23 ·
Response for the single mom line:

It sounds like you need to choose your sex partners more carefully.

Responses for the "I'm retired and on a fixed income" line:

1) That's great! Do you think you could fix mine for me?
2) I'm sorry, but your lack of retirement planning is not my problem. I need to charge enough to avoid making the same mistake you did.
man that made me laugh out loud... i would love to see someones face if that was said to them...

I was at subway a month or so ago and this kid about 5-6 years old pushed me a little i looked down he said get the f$$k out of my way. The parents looked as if he had won a gold metal... my response was should have used a condom... they didn't take to kindly lol :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.