First time I've heard this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I went to this real nice ladys hows today to give her an Estimate. First thing I say to her when I pull up is "Hi, did you call for an Esimate" She responds quickly and says "no" I take a quick look at the # on her house and by the time I could say another word. She says "Oh wait, yes I did, Wow that was fast, I just called today!" But what really surprised me, was after measuring off her lawn. which was roughly 8000 sq ft. I tell her that it would cost her $25 per cut. she says "wow" again, "is that all". I smile and ask her what other Estimates has she recieved (because I beleive i'm one of the higher priced guys in town and was starting to lose cofidence in my beleif). She tells me that she hasn't called anyone else becasue she heard I was the best, but she also told me that she just thought it would have been more.

The moral of my story is that I wish all customers or potential customers would have this attitude.

By the way, I got the job. While I was talking to her she showed me a bare spot in her lawn from when she had something sitting in that spot. She put me in such a good mood, that I said hold on, I'll fix that right now. I pulled my cultivator off my truck and hit the spot real quick. then trough a hand full of Lesco Traditional blend on it, some straw and grabed her hose and watered it. Explained to her what she needed to do as for as watering the spot. Now this took me a whole 5 minutes (it was on my way home) and I was in no rush. So when she asked me how much she owed me for this. I Smiled and told her nonthing, and while winking I say "that's why I'm the best" ;)

Thanks for listening,
    Soupy

2. I'm sure this won't be your last pleasant encounter.;)

You have a good way of treating customers.

Dave

3. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

Way to go Soupy. You know what she's going to do now don't you? She'll tell others. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can get.

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Good job Soupy. You are doing your part to give "lawn guys" a good name. While the scrubs do their best to tear us down.

Here is some thing that happened to me yesterday. It is kinda off the main subject I realize.

I am mowing a guys yard, and just finishing up. I got the blower on my back, and all my equipment is sitting on the trailer in PLAIN sight. Guy comes across the street, asks me. "Do you do lawn care, mowing, trimming, aerating and such"?
    I am not joking those are his exact words.

H--- NO, I am just a figment of your broke down imagination. Just a mirage.

WHATEVER.

Maybe I should have told him to cut the grass, not smoke it.

:blob1: :blob3:

5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Brickman, I get ask that same question all the time :)

Pro-Cut, I have a feeling that she is going to spread the word for me. As I was fixing her bad spot, She had a couple of her neighbors (out walking) stop by to say hi, and she talked about me the whole time. That's was another reason she had me in such good mood.

Soupy

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't mind, let me give you an analogy. As you entered that area, you have now sewn seeds, and they are not just seeds of grass. Watch what happens. The fact that you gave that, it will come back to you ten-fold.

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto.... looks like your business will be expanding in that neighborhood!

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Must be a human nature thing, happened here also, bizarre.