1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

First time out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Propdoc, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

This, as you may have already noticed is my first post here and I must admit I have been very impressed with the discussions that I have read over the the last week, since becoming a member. Now for my question. I'm wanting to start a lawn care business in my area within the next 6 to 8 months. By what i've read most people start out with just a 21" mower and trimmer or perhaps a small riding mower. Would it be naive to go out and buy perhaps a good used commercial mower that would cost a few thousand $ or should I aim a little lower and try to start out on the cheaper side of things till I have a good number of clients. My thinking is with better equipment clients will be easier to obtain and keep, than with the consumer equipment. Of course I realize that there is a lot more envolved than just having good equipment but I thought that I would run it buy you guys and see what you thought.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would start out with the biggest commercial mower you can afford and use on the properties you have or expect to get. A used commercial mower will outlast a Brand New homeowner type.

Make sure you get insurance also. There is a lot of posts on starting out and there is a whole page of topics with the search results on my website that might help you out.
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Definitely get the best you can afford... There's no better feeling than to walk up to a property and have no doubt in your mind that you can get the job done.

Remember... what you can afford.

Good luck!
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will agree also. When I started out (I had many years of expirience working for other LC's) I bought a commercial ZTR and all the goodies. definetly buy what you can afford & as big as you can afford.
  5. 3 good guys gave very good suggestions. What you need to do is search some of the posts and look at what is going on. Good luck with your new biz, be well and don't be shy.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Get the best commercial unit you can. The cut will be better and regardless of you current knowledge, the homeowner will perceive you as better for the job.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ill take it a step further and say why not skip the hard stuff and get a good used ztr. i wish i had many yrs ago.dont know where id be now but i get a couple new accts every month and im not close to being booked. on a lt i use to be turning work down this time of the yr. good luck to you.
  8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

For about 5k you could get a 6x12 trailer (used), Exmark 48" (new), Echo trimmer and blower (new), and a 1/2 ton pickup (used). Don't go out and blow 6k on a ztr until you find out if you can succeed in this business.
  9. RYNK

RYNK LawnSite Member

Good luck to you. I'm just starting out myself. Well, I haven't actually started yet. I've been buying equiptment and trying to learn about the biz. I went ahead and got my comm. apps. license and began learning everything I can. I went with a used walkbehind mainly for the price and ease of operation. I mostly use it on my property but ocassionally cut other lawns. I think its a great idea to become familiar with your equiptment before you take it out on someone else's property and make a fool out of yourself.
  10. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all the help, I'm still looking and of course reading the forum everyday. I kind of got my mind on trying to pick up a good used Walker, or something similar. A local dealer has mentioned the Walker name a couple of times and he doesn't even sell them. He does sell Grasshoper though and there 600 and 700 series looks good but fairly expensive. I've no doubt you get what you pay for though. It just seems that maybe these are a little extreme for just starting out. I don't know if this is one of those build it and they will come things or am I going to have an 800lb paper weight. Thanks for the replies