First time running

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Watson's Landscaping, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well this year i'm offering sprinkler repairs to my lawn clients, and would also like to be able to turn on there systems for the first time for them. Is there any thing i should know, besides turning the water on slowly so I dont blow there lines out.
    Thanks

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

My typical turn on consists of this:

Locate and visually inspect backflow for cracks or damage.

Turn on water.

Check timer, make sure proper program is set, and correct date and time.

Look for any mainline leaks.

Run each zone, look for leaks/broken heads/adjustment problems etc.

Note any problems, and inform owner.

3. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dirty Water
    Thanks that was great but what do u mean the "backflow" would than be outside next to the main vale box.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The backflow preventer is a device that is used to keep water from traveling back into the well or water main in event of a backflow or backsiphonage event.

Depending on what the codes in your area are, they could be DoubleCheck Valves, and they would be buried in a valvebox or mounted in a basement/crawlspace depending on weather conditions there:

[​IMG]

Otherplaces use PVB's or RPZ's. These devices have to be mounted above grade, and you'll often find them next to buildings. You will rarely find one in a basement or crawlspace, but if the winters are cold, then you will most likely find a shutoff and drain inside.

PVB:

[​IMG]

RPZ:

[​IMG]

However, the question I have, is how competent are you going to be at sprinkler repairs if you don't know how to identify a common and fundamental device used with them?

5. that is a good question.....

I have one...

I want to start mowing lawns...what is that thingie with the handle that makes loud noises...and how do I get it to move.....

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

If you tickle her in just the right spot she will make noises and move all over.....oh wait that's another forum... Never mind.:eek:

7. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Wow...you do realize that being able to figure out what's wrong with an irrigation system is a bit of an art and requires a pretty wide array of knowledge?

I can train monkey's to do an install, the real magic is in being able to do a repair... I wish your customer's luck..

8. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

While we're trading knowledge what kind of plants should I put in my flower beds?

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see your flower beds, and we will tell you what your tastes are for plantings...

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I know, I know! ~ Flowers?