first time skidsteer buyer/prices

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mas, Mar 3, 2006.

1. mas

mas LawnSite Member

Hello,

Great forum.. im not in the lawncare business but i have read the equipment forum from start to finish and it was very informative im interested in dumptrucks/skidsteers and other small equipment to buy and i learned alot from this forum..

what kind of price should i negotiate down the dealer on a bobcat? i dont want to insult them and go to low.. would 10 grand off a loaders mrsp with 2 atachments be alittle to much to ask?

i got quoted 59 thousand for a s250 w/ gold package, 2speed highflow, a/c self leveling bucket and a few other things.. with normal bucket with teeth and combo bucket

i told the salesman i was off to checkout a cat and he said to remember that bobcat is very competitive with pricing..

so just wondering whats the range of negotiation on these things..

and does anyone have any experience with shin mitsubishi skidsteers?

2. mas

mas LawnSite Member

just reread that.. and i dont mean 2 atachments thrown in for free, but purchasing the 2 attachments ontop of the machine

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Your first stop should be to truly price the cat, deere, case and whoever elso you may be SERIOUSLY considering and look at the differences. At best, I think 10% is reasonable. You never know till you try! Also, dont worry about insulting the dealer...Im sure they get insulted almost on a daily basis. How he handles a low offer may tell you whether or not you guys can have a good relationship down the road.

I am a firm beleiver in getting the best deal I can get, but not at the expense of support. You may have to pay a little more for a mcahine that has excellent service and I can assure you, that is worth much more than you can ever imagine.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

i got quoted 59 thousand for a s250 w/ gold package, 2speed highflow, a/c self leveling bucket and a few other things.. with normal bucket with teeth and combo bucket

Maybe I'm out of touch, but 59K for a skid steer seems to me like rape artistry. We paid 47K for a 257B with 6-1 blade, bucket forks. Self leveling is a standard feature.

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe I'm out of touch, but 59K for a skid steer seems to me like rape artistry. We paid 47K for a 257B with 6-1 blade, bucket forks. Self leveling is a standard feature.

6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

He's quoting Canada dollars, I think...

but still, that comes out to 52k USD. That's a lot for an S250, even if it has all those packages...

7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of bucks to put out are you going to have enough work for it ?

I would be looking at buying a good used machine instead or look into buying a used rubber tired backhoe.

To be exact it is 51,973 dollars US still quite abit of money for a machine that is limited for the work you can do with it. I would think buying a mini excavator or like I said a rubber tired hoe would be a better choice.

8. mas

mas LawnSite Member

im more or less just buying the machine as a toy.. i just purchased some land that i will be throwing a shop and house on so i was buying it to do the landscaping on the land..

i could also use the machine for snow in the winter, if i just used it to clear my friends business`s and stripmalls im sure it would pay for its self quickly..

but what do you think is a fair price for a s250?

i looked at komatsus and the dealership here is a complete 2bit operation so i wouldnt want to buy from them..

my friends father also owns a shin mitsubishi dealership in japan which is cat so i could order a used one from japan for a very good price.. but service may be a problem here i dont think the dealerships like when you save a bunch of money buying from overseas...

i also tried to call other dealerships in canada for a new s250 and they wont give anything better than a mrsp quote over the phone

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't buy a new machine if you're just messing around with one on your own land. Even 59K Canadian for an S250 is grab-your-ankles material, that machine is worth NO MORE than $40K US equipped like you described. You can find something used for alot less than that. And trying to knock off 10 grand at a dealership will get you laughed out of there, that's 25% off, won't happen. My suggestion is to find a decent used machine from a dealership and then negotiate prices.

10. mas

mas LawnSite Member

if machinery dealerships are anything like car dealerships i think i would never buy a used product from them...

ill see what happens.. i will offer over 10 grand less I will have a check ready for the machine in hand.. if they take it they take it

most likely im going to end up order the machine from japan and shipping it over i think because prices on new/used in my city seem pretty out of hand compared to internet prices