first time this happened

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Jun 21, 2006.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

today at a install I go to do the hookup, shut the main water off and cut the copper. The copper is coming out of the slab which is being feed from another area in the house. It is the feed line for the radiant heat. I cut the copper sweat it in and run the main out the house. When I turned the water back on I had hardly any flow at all. Rest of the house is fine but the line feeding me is nothing 28 PSI. checked all valves and all are open. Since the line is in the slab there is no repacing the line. I have no clue. Maybe debris is clogging the line if so How the hell do you get it out????anybody?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

28 psi would be about right for the radiant heating system. Any reason you want to supply a sprinkler system from the home's heating system? Try to tap out closer to the water meter.
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm assuming that this is the line that supplies the radiant heating BEFORE it is heated? I've heard of hot sprinkler systems before... :laugh:
  4. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

something doesn't sound right.

Was that a stub out capped off comming from the slab?
  5. Hook it back up the way it was and call a plumber to do your water tap....I think you have to be so licensed in NY/NJ for that eh?

sounds like you tapped in after the PRV for the radiant heat.....
  6. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

plumber says I tapped of the heat alright. Only thing that sucks is the line I tapped into was 3/4. Turns out the supply to the heat is only 1/2" and in a bad spot. Impossible to get water out of the house and forget tapping in at the curb.
  7. Wet_Boots

It's never impossible, but it sure can be impractical. ;)
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  9. I just heard a story today in the supply house of how someone hooked up the sprinkler system to the gas line...tapped the black iron and hooked up sprinklers....I think he was lucky the gas was off at the meter.....
  10. Wet_Boots

I like the taps that come downstream of the water softener.