First time this year

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by naturescaretaker, Aug 22, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We are doing a tree lot this year. First time. We have a good location and have scheduled a tent for the small stuff and extras. Sort of a mini Christmas shop for add on sales. Is there anything special that we should keep in mind as we move forward. Our lot will run from Nov 15 to December 24.

Thanks!

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

From what i have found is that the more you decorate the lot the more those ladies want to spend

did you guys get that fax i sent down to you?

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

sell good stands and offer delivery

4. Imulchmore

Imulchmore LawnSite Member

I have been selling trees for a few years now and I will never not sell them again. We have had nothing but success with our tree lots. If I was going to give advice I would say stick with the #1 and #2 grade trees anything less than that and people will know you are trying to sell them junk. Also check outwww.treeteck.com look at the tree driller it is a little investment but it will keep you customes coming back year after year. They are nic epeople and will be able to guide you along the way.

5. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you get the trees? Do you grow them yourself? Is there a supplier you buy from? What is the average markup? If there are suppliers that you know of can you PM their names or websites? Sorry so many questions sounds like an interesting prospect.

6. Imulchmore

Imulchmore LawnSite Member

There is a web site You can do a search it is the Pennsylvania Christmas tree growers association. I personally use Tuckaway Tree farm they are located in McAlevy's Fort, Pa. I have their numer in my other office I will try to get it for you. What part of Ohio are you from? How close are you to state college, Pa?

7. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

For you guys that are going to do this, can someone post a little per tree price, delivery charge, how they are setting up? I would love to rent a little spot on the drag for thanksgiving till xmas. Need a little info. though.

8. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in Southern Ohio. I assume PA is home to many more tree farms than Ohio. I have requested info from the PA Tree Growers Association. I found the number to several tree farms and will give them a call tomorrow.

It is probably too late to get a lot of the ground for this Christmas -What do you think?

Is there a secret to securing lots and how much lot rent should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.

9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

you have to buy your trees from a tree farmer. most inportantly they need to have top notch stuff. otherwise you wont make the sale. markup need to stay consistant with you area, most of the time it is double what you paid wholesale for.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Try doing a google search for wholesale Christmas tree sales. There are a lot of vendors out there. We are looking for quality.