first time trying to remove the blade. help please!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowgli, May 30, 2005.

1. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

I always paid dealer to sharpen the blades for me. today i will try to do it myself, and i just want to know if i have to turn the bolt clock-wise or the opposit direction? Almost forgot, I have 48" scag tiger cub and 21" Toro.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

counter clockwise, wear some gloves when you do it, safety first

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

my mower turns to the right. like anyother nut.

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

off would be to the left. Counter clockwise.

5. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Tanks for your help??

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

There you go. I was beginning to wonder why so many ppl have trouble getting blades off!

Use a cheater bar if you need it. Occasionally i will need one, just put it over the socket wrench and give it hell!

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

mowgli, do you have the proper tools to do this job?

Are you aware that many mowers have a torque specification to tighten the blade bolts to when putting a freshly sharpened blade back on the spindle? You will need a torque wrench to properly torque blade bolts to spec.

Are you aware that there are proper ways to sharpen a mower blade and sharpening improperly can severly effect the integrity of the blade. Excessive heat in the metal blade can make it brittle and very fragile or soften it to where it will not hold an edge.

Be careful.

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Mines built into my elbow. I just pull until I feel it click.

9. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have a Scag Tiger Cub also and to take it off turn counter clockwise. I always use a cheater bar and It works just fine. To hold the nut on top I use a pipe wrench.

10. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

Be very careful when changing your blades with wrenches and please wear leather gloves. Don't be stupid like me.I cut a dime size hunk of skin from my thumb and cut through extensor tendons in two of my fingers and had to have surgery.Go spend the money on a cordless impact and always think about about your hands thats what makes you your dough.