First time using a walkbehind of any size

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rich's landscaping, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Rich's landscaping

Rich's landscaping LawnSite Member

I wanted to find out everyones experiance the first time they used a walkbehind and how long it took for them to get used to it.
    Im new to the game and never really used one...everyone ive spoken to says you get used to it.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would say you will get the hang of it in a few months...when I first got mine I scalped everything, now I am much better a year later. I still misread terrain from time to time but overall I fair pretty well. I know I learned right away not to do a 360 turn without keeping the inboard tire spinning!

3. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

The very first time I used a friends walk behind mower was interesting. He didnt bother to tell me that he had rigged the safety switches so when I let go of the handles the mower just kept on cutting and we ended up replacing the bed of annuals that I mowed and stomped on while trying to stop the machine.
    David

4. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

I guess it depends on what type of mower u have.

5. mountainmowinman

mountainmowinman LawnSite Member

My first was with my brother-in-laws pistol grip Bobcat that had the controls adjusted way to tight. My wrist killed me after that. All take some time to learn but just think of the time you are saving, and the money you will be making (hopefully).

6. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

the first time i used one i was 14 and had just bought it. noone taught me anything about running it, and i was cutting straight lines in 10 minutes, i grew up on the farm runing equipment though. it didnt take me too long to learn how to not scalp, but like anyone i still have a few issues.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i picked it up on the first day but not before i learned not to let only one pistol lever go

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I picked it up in the first couple of days, but a few months to really get good with it.

9. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

My first was also a bobcat... ran it up under a blue spruce tree, ran it up a pole and put 3 horizontal dents in it, hit a big rock and the mower almost turned into the side of a car parked next to the grass. Later on we uncovered a family full of bunnies in the same lawn:dizzy: I would like to think I have improved since then...

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

20 acres of LC nursery to cut he fired it up gave me a crash course and said ur a smart kid ull get it. Sure enough my killer instincts kickd in and 7 hrs later i was done and tired. There r something you just have to learn first hand and if you have the basic idea you wont lose anything to important. just take your time and above all eles be safe