First time w/ Brick pavers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by acm8705, Sep 27, 2007.

1. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

This was actually my first time doing any type of hardscape. I've always wanted to try it, but never had the opportunity. Customer wanted pavers put in front of their shed doors. The doors would scrub into the grass and made them hard to open. I told the customer that I had never done any type of work with pavers and didn't have the first clue about how to do it, but I was willing to learn. These were the perfect customers to learn with. They didn't want an estimate and didn't care how long or how much it cost they just wanted it done. I charged by the hour, plus expenses. They already had the pavers left over from a previous walkway. I only had to get concrete and sand.

I sprayed round up on the area the week before to make it easier to remove the grass.

I dug down 3" and then laid the brick out to make sure I removed enough dirt.

Weed fabric

I used 1" pvc to run another piece of pvc across to make a level base. PVC was a bad idea. Even though it was only 8' the pvc would bend. That's why I put a third piece of pvc in the middle.

This is what I used as a base.

Level and ready for pavers.

Complete. Now the doors open freely and I can add "brick layer" to my resume. JK I know that I still have no clue as to what I'm doing.

Now pick me apart and tell me I should change before I do it again.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

are you looking for advice and constructive criticism?
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

need edging material to hold it all in place, and you need a compacted base.... and when you screed the sand to make it level, a 2x4 on its edge works better than the PVC for the exact you mentioned, pvc flexes.

and you really want the edge of your pavers to be a bit below the door threshold. during a heavy rain you'll get water intrusion under door since the bricks are level with the concrete.

and use sand as your leveler not concrete....and you need to brush some sand into the cracks on the top of the bricks...

btw were in orlando you work...I had a biz done in the south chase, huntermill area for some time back in the mid 90's
  4. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

What type of edging material? Would flower bed edging be sufficient? I built up the sides of the brick with the concrete to try and make a border. I don't think it is going to work very well.
    and you need a compacted base.... [/QUOTE]
    Would a layer of crushed rock be a compact base? I read that some installers put a 6" base of rock done.
    I didn't think of this, but good idea. I was only worried about the door rubbing on the top of the bricks.

I used the concrete as more of a base to keep the brick from moving, than a level. When I dug out the dirt I used a level to make sure I had a level surface to start with. I set the brick on the concrete, then tapped it down into the concrete.
    I brushed all purpose sand into the after the last picture. I then watered it in and brushed some more sand into it.

I work in the Ocoee, Winter Garden, Windermere area.
  5. MarcSmith

They make a special edging for pavers...
    and a compact stone base of 21-a or similar, usually between 4-10 inches deep depending application. I am working on my driveway right now. I laid the last brick last I went 8" deep

Problem with the thin layer of concrete, is that if it ever sets up...its only 1" thick and if it cracks then you are not level anymore. and the bricks will move since there is no edging The pavers "float" on top of the sand and the sand is used to help level out any inconsistencies with the base and to assist in drainage.

take a look at the typical cross section of a paver install... to get an idea....

those are good areas to work....

In all honesty, you may never have any problems with the little area you did... since it wont' see much if any traffic, but if you run over it with a riding mower I'd bet money you'll get movement in the bricks...

Place like HD and lowes are selling the edging material with is nice. and there are several different types...

Also, I meant no disrespect or anything, juts trying to point out somethings I noticed...

6. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

No disrespect or hard feelings taken. Thanks for your help. This project has really taught me alot. Hopefully I get to use my new knowledge sometime.
  7. MarcSmith

as they say, we all started out crawling before we walked
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

You may want to continue with your day job.
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Thats not have to start guys are hard at times....
  10. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hey...take the others advice and run with it. Takes more then a mouth to get started in the business. I give you credit for learning on your own property and coming here for advice, thoughts, and opinions (bad and good).

marcsmith gave you some good info.