First time welding!

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by roscioli, Jan 8, 2003.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Whahooo! What a blast, this is my first time ever welding.. I am making stands for my retail xmas tree business for use next year. Using 2 inch angle iron and 4" steel piping, and a cheapo wal-mart arc welder. Max size 5/16" rods, so its slow going, but man, this is fun stuff! I can't wait to buy a bigger better machine and start new projects!

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Joining metal with fire, yea its pretty cool. Might consider a Mig (wire welder ) I love mine neat, clean and pretty easy to use. Have fun.

Mark

3. Lohr Equipment & Wel

Lohr Equipment & Wel LawnSite Member

I think you meen 5/32 rod ,if that cheepo welder can handle 5/16 I got to get me one.Good luck ,welding is magic,it is like crazy glue for metal

4. roscioli

Yes, thank you for the correction.. 5/32 and 1/8" I think a mig will be next once i perfect the art of the Arc!

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Get an auto darkening helmet. Man does that make it easy.:cool:

6. roscioli

Boy, wrong again.. 5/64 and 1/16!!! It seems more like 1/4 inch... the 5/64 seems way thicker than that.. i will have to measure.

7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn LawnSite Member

I was gonna say!I used to be in bridge contruction and all we used was 5/32 and thats some serious steel!i wondered how that little machine was burning that big rod?get yourself a wire feed next,you will never use a stick again,very simple and easy to weld like a pro,the auto helmets help alot,mine is a commercial helmet($300+) but i use it everyday,they make cheaper ones but dont go to cheap,they are just like mowers and equipment as you get what you pay for.Good luck with your welding and have fun:)