1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

first time writer, long time reader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steelcity, Jan 21, 2002.

1. steelcity

steelcity LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

hello everybody. Just a note from up here in steel city, Hamilton Ontario. I wanted to say how awesome it is to read all the information on this site. Last year i had about 25 clients and i bought a business in July which brought me to 70. This year i have an opportunity to purchase 2 more smaller companies. Do you guys have any advice on buying up other routes:blob3:
  2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome, my advice is to read, read, read and when your done with that, read some more. This seems to work 9 out of 10 times. This is because buying companies is always a tricky ordeal where one guy is usually catching a break while the other is getting hung over. On here it seems everyone has their own perspective on the issue and everyones experience is different. Use your past experience to help you decide on this one and most importatly, how big do you want to get and what price are you willing to pay, not just monetarily.
  3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

My concern would be whether or not you have the capability to keep up with business. Last year going from 25 to 70 had to be a huge change.

If you can handle the others go for it, but I would consider whether you have the capability of handling the extra business without hurting the service on what you already have.