First Time

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I got my first call today from a woman who was using one of my areas larger LC'S who wasn't happy with their service. That is kind of a good feeling. She said with them not showing up when promised and doing a poor job most of the time it was time for her to move on. She would like a contract for the remainder of the season and would like for me to reseed a large portion of her lawn where it has been dug up for some other work they had done. She said she heard of me from a neighbor who told her she heard good things about me. That's a little funny cause I don't have any accounts in this particular area... Just a good feeling.:)

2. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations! It's always a good feeling to hear someone speak well of your business. Keep up the good work.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations hard work and a little pride in what you do will go a long way.:weightlifter:

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area most larger companies do a good job.....first warning sign that this customer is looking for a lawn boy. This is a person she can talk to about all of her problems and tell you what needs to be done. Most larger companies do good job but it is McDonald style.....not going to change what they do every week.

5. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

congrats, it's nice for the little guy to come out on top every once in a while.

oh yea, i just remembered: when i ever do get a chance, i'll get a digital pic of my pe 200 edger for you. i remember we had talked about cutting off part of the edger cover to make it open faced. i've been swamped lately and haven't had a chance to take a pic.

6. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Where in NJ are you?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, I wasn't sure what to say, I've watched this thread for about a week...
    I went through this myself and am not so sure if it's a lesson to be avoided, but I also feel perhaps fair warning is in order.

As for me, here's warning sign number two:
    'She would like a contract for the remainder of the season.'

And three:
    'She said she heard of me from a neighbor who told her she heard good things about me. That's a little funny cause I don't have any accounts in this particular area...'

That having been said, today I would run from this one... But it is experience, one has to start somewhere, if a man can't see the problem for one, doesn't know what he's doing for another (no offense), then at this point any yard is better than none as a basic foundation to start building one's business.
    Still not sure what I would recommend in this case, maybe I'll conclude by saying that the guys who helped me when I first started basically let me go through it without much further ado, thou I might have appreciated a warning, I'm still not sure if that would've changed anything. Last but not least, I have 1 or 2 accounts today where they think I'm their lawn boy, but so long they pay and are not too big a pita, I tolerate it because it's still money. Oh it frustrates me, but what can you do, I need money, too LOL.
    So, best of luck with this one, might not be so bad, you just never know.