First timer here...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by preacher_man08, May 7, 2007.

1. preacher_man08

preacher_man08 LawnSite Member

hey fellas...I'm 17 i worked last summer w/ a pretty big lawn mowing company and i just started up a business w/ my friend...i already have 2 lawns by myslef but I'm gettin paid by the hour and now i have a partner to help out...and w/ my business i need to know how much i should charge for my 2 lawns...my 1st lawns takes me 5 hours (mowed alone) to mow, weed-eat, edge and blow off all together. i was using a riding john deere(that was supplied to me) but now i am getting a
    42" zero turn. the backyard took me about 25 minutes to push mow...very few shrubs...my second lawn takes me 2 1/2 hours to mow alone...no push mowing...it takes about 10 minutes to weed-eat/edge and 5 minutes to blow it off...this place has quite a few trees in the backyard and has a pretty big hill that i have to mow and it probably takes me 30 minutes to mow the hill behind the backyard....so i just need some help on pricing these lawns...take in mind i was mowing by myself and didn't have a zero-turn...but now i have a partner and a zero turn and a riding john Deere...so need some help here...ASAP...THANKS

2. FerrisJJJ

FerrisJJJ LawnSite Member

Do you know how many acres you are cutting? If you are buying a zero turn, it should take you A LOT less time to cut the whole lawn. If you have two people doing it that would be even better and take even less time. One person should be mowing and one person should be weed-eating. This will go a lot faster. I think that you should charge by the job and not by the hour. Also, don't use the John Deere because if you use both they are not going to cut the same "lines" so the yard wont look as good so only use the zero-turn. From what you are telling me about the lawn and all, seeing that you are just starting up your biz, I would charge $48 for that first lawn, assuming that it is like 1 1/2 acres big. I hope this helps