1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

first trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mr. k, Jul 15, 2003.

1. harpoonalt

harpoonalt LawnSite Member

I like the open for it's versatility. You can use it for mowing or hauling mulch, topsoil, branches, etc, while the enclosed is more limited. Again it depends on your situation. The enclosed is more money, but offers security, a place to advertise, and an equipment storage area. The open trailer is cheaper, more versatile, but needs to be put somewhere if you plan tto leave your equipment on it. If all I ever did was mow lawns, I'd get an enclosed in a heartbeat, as I think they look very professional. But, I like to do my own hauling (the haulers never seem to be able to accomadate my schedule) and I need to be able to put my trailer out of sight at night (covenants). Think about what will work best for your business. I almost bought an enclosed but it would have been a big mistake for my operation. Let us know what you decide

2. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Mr. K - One more quick FYI

I know that everybody (?) tries to help on this forum, but some people just don't understand small budgets and the importance of JUST GETTING STARTED.

If I took the advice of many I would have gotten myself into a BIG loan at the bank and that would have included a LARGE trailer. The fact is I purchased everything I needed to get started solo for a LOT less than everyone said it would cost. IE:

5x8 Enclosed trailer - $1600
    used 32" SCAG wb - $1500
    2 Craftsman blowers - $120 (yes they work just fine)
    Echo SRM210 - $220
    used 21" push mower - FREE
    Assorted tools - FREE and CHEAP

Whenever I can I will replace these items with ones that are higher quality, but NOTHING will stand in the way of getting started!

My point is - take all of these opinions, sort through them, and use the information that helps you, but DON't let anyone tell you that you need a $400 blower or GIGANTIC trailer just to get going. There's always time to expand and there will always be someone to buy your little trailer when you are ready for a larger one!

3. just grass

just grass LawnSite Member

good point look at your check book and . and the craftman equip works good my weedeater starts on the first pull compared to the stihl 3 pulls min. good luck

gravely 2300.00
    trailer 6x12 1050.00
    edger 279.00
    weedeater 259.00
    blower 289.00