First truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Danielslawnservice, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good 25 accounts right now and need to get a truck, because i used a old van that died this winter. i need to be able to pull a big 12'X7' trailer w/ 2 Z-turns, string trimmer, backpack plower, and will need a dump bed for grass clippings and such. also i need to be able to pull a skid loader w/ a full bed of cargo also snow removal (plow and salt spreader) i've been looking at Ford F-450 to the F-650 dump: chassie
    any ideas???

Thanks!
    Daniel

2. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

:gmctruck: USE GMC TRUCKS, THEY ARE THE BEST ON THE MARKET TRUST ME IVE TRYED THE OTHER ONES

3. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't get a 650, pulling a trailer you're probably gonna need a CDL. I've got an 89 FSuper Duty (F450) that we do basically waht youre talking about with, great truck has a dump and all. Just a question, why are you needing such a big truck? The only reason i have a 450 is because i bought it cheap, I would of been completely happy with an F350. Before I had the 450, i did every thing you want to do with my 96 F250 Powerstroke, and before that an 84 F250 with a 351 and 4 speed. I still pull everyday with the 250, just easier to get around with. Unless you are hauling a lot of rock, dirt, hardscape material, whatever, there really is no point in anything much bigger that a 3/4 ton, maybe a 1-ton just for versatility sake. How much money are you looking to spend?

4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

that is a big jump from a van to a 450 od 650. If looking new i owm all fords because they always give 0%intrest but would say go for a 4500 or a kodiack bulit better than a 450 it is a 6500 derated to a 4500 basically not a 250 bumped up to a 550. if you go used any f350 dump or f450 dump are fine stay away from 03 disels to many problems and chevy 3500 atr light duty compared to ford just my thoughts

5. Danielslawnservice

the reason i want/need such a big truck is i also have to move farm equipment because i'm partnered w/ a guy who does farming. I would like to see how ford and dodge compare.

6. Danielslawnservice

hey
    why?
    what is ur basis?
    why not ford or dodge?

thanks
    dan

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Gas is $4.00 a gallon, at least it will be by this summer, why throw away money driving around a 1 ton or larger truck? Let's not overthink this. Some guys just like to waste money, I understand that, but for pulling mowers you don't need anything over 3/4 ton. Pick a brand, they'll all get the job done.

I think you'd have to elaborate a little more on the farm equipment moving. It would be fairly pointelss to buy a huge truck to occasionally move farm equipment when all you'd need on a daily basis is a 3/4 ton or smaller truck.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

youd be fine with a 350. I doubt the farm equipment would call for a 450 or larger. and dont even think about a 650 for this biz. f-350's pull 20,000. that should be plenty.

9. Danielslawnservice

how do dodge, ford, Chevy, and GMC compare???

thanks...

10. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone will have an opinion on this one, especially if you get on the Powerstroke topic, there is one member in particular (I think we all know who) who will have nothing but anti-powerstroke things to say. I myself have 2 powerstrokes, a 96 with 210,000 miles and a 99 with about 150,000, great trucks, not as much torque as the Dodge with a Cummins but for what I do i am perfectly happy with them. My cousin farms 1000+ acres and calves out some 200+ cows, he and his dad both have F250 Super Dutys, as well as a 97 F350 single wheel powerstroke with a bale bed, and a 93 F250 460 with a bale bed, they get by fine with these trucks farming everyday. I used to farm myself, and can see where a 350 would make sense, but unless you get a screaming deal on say a 450, it just doesn't make sense to get that big of a truck.